Sandy Hook

Postby Feetfirst » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:03 pm

For anyone that ski's at Sandy Hook in Bundy, Council has let a huge amount of water out to repair the weir which in turn has made it quite treacherous for boating. There are parts in the centre of the river that are only 200mm deep. The island area is the most dangerous and should be avoided completely.

Unfortunately I know this from experience as I went out yesterday and managed to get stuck on one. Thankfully no damage sustained.
Feetfirst
Tantrum
Skicraft Owner

Re: Sandy Hook

Postby will » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:46 am

Glad no damage was done! Always a shock when you bottom out. Unrelated - What's the croc situation like there atm? I'm in Maryborough in the fresh and we've even had reports as far inland as Tiaro of them being sighted.
Enjoy the ride. Any time on the water is good time!
will

Postby Feetfirst » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:16 pm

There was a sighting report on the W/E that there was one here in the salt below the weir. Not sure how true it is. I used to ski in Darwin harbour many years ago and they never really bothered us too much. You could easily see them coming in the open water there though.
Feetfirst
Tantrum
Skicraft Owner

Postby will » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:51 am

Yeah, we're still riding (well, when we can get a crew) as even if they are there they seem to want to stay well away from us. Unfortunately we've had to stop the kids swimming at the ramp which has been a real pain. Did you get out much over Winter?
will

Postby Feetfirst » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:26 am

I know what its like to get a crew together. Lucky for me the wife likes to drive, otherwise I would never get out the back. Are you on the upper reaches of the Mary??
Feetfirst
Tantrum
Skicraft Owner

Postby will » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:15 am

Not any more, we're mostly on the River side of Tinana Creek. I'd never heard of it being ridable (I thought it was just a creek the whole way) until some friends invited me out to teach their kids and we realised how good the river section was. Probably only been back once or twice on the Mary since! Fresh and no public access, we are rarely sharing the water (unless it's a big ride/camping weekend with lots of visitors :D ). We've got a young family atm so not getting much time on the water unless we coax friends out. Good move on having the wife drive! :) Mine likes the odd ride on the skate so when we don't have infants anymore I hope water time will increase.
will

• Advertisement