Boat advice for a newbie

Postby ell0078 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi,

I’m looking into getting into the sport of wake boarding but more so wake surfing. I’ve been surfing most my life and also had small boats but I’m wanting to get the whole family involved. My question is more for the wake surfing aspect. The new boats of the big 3 all seem to come with settings and systems to create a wave. Is this worth the extra money? Is it difficult to create a wave with an old version of the boat. Ideally I would like to buy 2nd hand and stick to 60k but I do want a good wave and I don’t want to muck around to much to create it.

Any advice is welcome.
ell0078
Surface 180

Re: Boat advice for a newbie

Postby Brentos » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Not hard at all will a few extra ballast bags and wakeshaper,
there is plenty of aftermarket ones available but i mad my own for around $30 and she pumps out a nice wave
Brentos
Malibu Owner

Re: Boat advice for a newbie

Postby jakeyhamer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:15 pm

I've always had boats that never had an surf devices fitted from the factory and that hasn't stopped me easily producing a top level surf wake. As said below the most important thing is having a large ballast system, which may consist of factory underfloor ballast, than a piggy back or ballast bag in the storage compartments, or even sacks on seats and walkways. The more weight you can put in the the boat usually means a bigger and longer surf wave with more push.

I have a 3rd gen Mastercraft xstar, which is within you budget (its on boatsales) with what a call a ghetto gate. Just a simple surf device mounted to the platform on one side to clean up the other side of the wake. Takes about a minute to go from wakeboarding to surfing and the wake is just as good as any new boat on the market with a factory surf device. Only downside is an aftermarket surf device makes it difficult to manoeuvre the boat with it deployed. Can only turn in one direction which can make it difficult to navigate on rivers, but I have manage to do this for the past 5 years without any issues.
jakeyhamer
Raley

• Advertisement