Unusual Clinker Build- 'The Anyhow'

Postby guilty338 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:54 am

G'day,
I asked on here a while ago if anyone could identify a clinker I recently purchased. Well, Its time for the rebuild so I thought i'd start it off with a couple of pics of the early work.

Here is what I know about the boat:
- It's a early 70's fibreglass hull boat
- The engine is a Ford 302 V8
- Drive is via a Hamilton Jet
- IT'S HAD SOME BODGY WORK DONE ON IT!

Here are a couple of pics from the day I bought the boat.
(please excuse the quality of the pics, they are from my phone)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guilty338
Blind 3

Postby guilty338 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:06 am

First up I had a crack at sorting out a tower design. In keeping with the 'do it yourself' nature of this build I have started with galvanised rectangular steel and 5mm steel plate. The plan is to have the tower hot galvanised when it is finished, which is a fair bit of bracing away. The tower is designed to hinge and fold down.

Here are a few bodgy phone pics of the design so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guilty338
Blind 3

Postby guilty338 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:20 am

Now the hull work. This is a huge job, and unfortunatley most of the work is repairing bodgy jobs from the hulls thirty something years of service.

First up is repairing the transom and rear section of the hull where the jet is fitted, probably the biggest bodge up in nautical history!. At some stage it seems the Hamilton Jet replaced a smaller jet unit, and where most people would do a solid fibreglass job with new mounting points, somehow the back of this boat ended up being patched up with various bits of wood and at least a tube or two of what appears to be roof and gutter silicone. In addition to this there were at least 70 small holes plugged up with wooden dowels where various flaps and acessories had once been fitted to the transom. Put simply it was impossible for this boat to be water tight!

So the answer is to go right back to fibreglass and remake the jet mounts, this time without rotted wood, filling a multitude of holes as we go.

Here is a quick couple of pics of the bi-directional glass we layed on the outside of the transom, still plenty of work to go- but it's a start.
guilty338
Blind 3

Postby Bear75 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:17 am

Alot of work ahead but looking good your tower design realy matches the lines of your boat.
Bear75
Whirly

Postby mof » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:59 am

Hard to see in the pics, but does the jet have gates (flaps) for steering? If it does, it would be worthwhile fitting a steering nozzle - it will transform the handling of the boat.

Don't solidly mount the part of the jet thru the transom, jets apply the drive to the bottom of the hull via the intake. It should have a rubber seal thru the transom.
mof
Slurpee

Postby wakkatoo » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:06 am

I love how the tower was given priority over making sure the thing floats :lol: :lol:

Keep the pics coming, love watching resto's on this site :D
wakkatoo
Pete Rose

Postby guilty338 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:22 am

Mof, the Jet has steering flaps rather than a nozzle.

Also the jet is not being mounted to the transom, however it needed the work so the bolt on seal would not leak. (the jet is mounted to the rear section of the hull floor)
guilty338
Blind 3

Postby COLZE » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:27 am

mate will the tower warp when u hot dip gal it???
COLZE

Postby guilty338 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:33 am

To be perfectly honest I do not know. This whole build is a learning process for me.

But I don't 'think' so. There is quite a bit of metal in the design, so i'm hoping it will be strong enough to stay in shape. Perhaps I need to look at bracing the top section with a horizontal bar when it is dipped.
guilty338
Blind 3

Postby COLZE » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:47 am

yeah but then how r u going to get that bar off? cit it off? then ull have a hole in ur gal...

i would just get the tower powder coated... no chance of warping and will look a whole lot better.

if uv alreay drilled the holes in the boat deck fot the tower. then u gal it and it warps it wont line up with the holes.
COLZE

Postby guilty338 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:48 pm

The top half of the tower can have a bolt on 'spreader bar' attached for the galvanising, but i'll check out what the go is at the local galvaniser, there are also engine mounts and a couple of other bits of steel to be done, however yes- powder coating is a good option.
guilty338
Blind 3

Postby strada1 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:32 pm

The gal bath would warp a section that small but you should be able to pull it back reasonably easily. Make sure you havn't got the tubes fully sealed thou or things may go boom when it hits the gal.
strada1
Raley

Postby FnC » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:55 pm

Tower is magic
FnC
Surface 180

Postby guilty338 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:04 pm

It's good to see there is still some interest in old boats, i will keep the updates coming.

However i'm about to hop on a plane to Phuket for some cable riding, so there wont be any pics for two weeks. Luckily I still have my old man on task with the fibreglassing.
guilty338
Blind 3

Postby mattybaby » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:38 pm

nice tower:)...
“Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?”
mattybaby

Postby guilty338 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:32 pm

G'day again, time for a quick update.

Just got back from Thailand to find my old man has been flat out fibreglassing, finishing the transom, the floor of the hull and covering the stringers (yes these were full of holes too!! some people should not be allowed to buy power drills). On top of this he has rebuilt the dash which had been botched up several times (various gauge layouts). My dad is almost insane from the amount of holes in the boat, but he estimates being about 50% through the fibreglassing on the hull after approximatley a month of work. Pictures to come.

I thought i'd make a start on the engine. It was certainly not pretty, well rusted from the amount of water that was almost perminatley in the boat. The rust was so bad that the sump literally crumbled in my hands as I removed it........... not a good sign. However after closer inspection the inside of the block was in quite decent condition. It has been rebuilt fairly recently with a .20' overbore which still showed a good hone mark, the camshaft and timing gears/chain were aftermarket and the rotating assembly looks o.k. The plan is a quick rebuild with new bearings and rings, a freshen up of the heads, new carb, ignition and exhaust manifolds.

But first, the clean up and rust removal, I used a combination of wire wheels and an angle grinder and die grinder. Here are some before and after pics.
guilty338
Blind 3

Postby kano » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:59 pm

Hi guilty nice work mate.
My engine looks to be in similar condition to that. Plenty of surface rust on the sides of the block as well. My sump is rusted mainly on the mounting flange. Removed the sump today to have a look at the cylinders. No hint of rust internally, and found 351 stamped on the crank which was good cause I hadn't measured the stroke and wasn't sure if it was a 302. Not going to pull mine down as I have ran it and runs good. Has had a recent rebuild also.

How did you remove the rust? I was going to hit mine with paint stripper and a wire brush? I need to put the sump back on and cover the inlet and exhaust to keep the engine clean as I am not pulling it apart.

My sump was a prick to remove. The oil pick-up is stuck in a compartment that has been welded in to the sump to stop the oil slapping around everywhere. Had to unbolt the pick-up from the block before removing the sump!
kano
Blender
Flightcraft Owner

Postby guilty338 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:14 am

I removed the rust with a few different wire wheels/cups on the angle grinder and air powered die grinder, took a few hours to do the block, heads and intake manifold but now it is good enough to paint, and this time the paint might actually stay there!
guilty338
Blind 3

Postby guilty338 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:22 pm

Here are a few more pics of the seemingly never ending fibreglass work. also a couple of bigger pics of the hull, i'm starting to think it might be a 'hammond' hull??? any thoughts??
guilty338
Blind 3

Postby guilty338 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:02 am

G'day again,
Just a quick update, no pics at the moment.

The old man has been fibreglassing like a mad man, currently building a jet mount from solid fibreglass in a hand built mould. The jet mounts to the floor of the hull, and was previously mounted to a peice of wood, however we have decided to improve on that in order to make a solid, leakproof fit (hopefully)!!. Once the peice is constructed in the mould it will be fibreglassed to the floor of the hull, making the mount approximatley 36mm of solid fibreglass. Pics to come tomorrow when I get the camera out again.

I have been having a crack at the engine when I have time, prepping the block for a re-fit of the internals this weekend. Perhaps my biggest suprise was how much dirt and was in the coolant passages! I washed the block out today and the majority of the passages were completley filled with dirt and scale. This is obviously due to the lack of any filtering of coolant (the jet setup forces water through the engine with no 'dirty water' filtration). Is this common in bots with hamilton jets??

Anyhow, I am heading to a friends workshop to hone the block tomorrow and remove the springs and valves from the cylinder heads, so hopefully I will have some pics of the short motor up before the end of the weekend.
guilty338
Blind 3

Next