ford territory... good tow vehicle???

Postby coody » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Hey guys,

Me and the missus are looking at getting a new(ish) car, and for the coin were looking at spending a 2005 or thereabouts territory 4x4 is standing out at the moment..

Want to know if there are any points to consider when looking at them?

We are not buying it for a real 4x4 so im not concerned about the 'lack of ground clearance or select able 4wd and what not.

Basically it will be used as a family wagon ( when that happens) lol and for towing the boat, trips down to the shops or the odd trip to Perth, albany etc etc

The missus really likes the car layout, interior comfort and seating position, visibility etc etc so she's sold already but I don't want tto go out and buy a dud 8)

Any insight anyone can provide would be much appreciated, cheers in advance wake.com brothers :D
coody
Off Axis 5
Flightcraft Owner

Postby goldman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Took one for a drive when we were buying a boat-had big wheels on it didn't feel much like a tow car, ended up getting a prado i say drive both but remember u will have a boat on the back.
we looked at 2004 ford with 22"s on it.
2000 toyota pardo- got it had seven seats which is a plus.
goldman
Tigé Owner

Postby coody » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 pm

We'll look at a tx or ghia stock standard so will just have the factory alloys on it, should make it ride a bit nicer having a bit more sidewall on the tyres ???

I should add that the percentage of mums taxi to boat tow vehicle will be about 90/10%

Them numbers don't seem right do they!!! :lol:
coody
Off Axis 5
Flightcraft Owner

Postby micky » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:55 pm

We have a had a Ford Territory Petrol before and they tow great if you are going to tow near 2 t you will need to get the load levelling kit.
The 6 speed gearbox is a must also. Be prepared for the fuel bill whilst towing.

We now have the new Titanium Diesel ( chalk and cheese ) fuel economy wise.

Great cars though.
micky
MB Owner

Re: ford territory... good tow vehicle???

Postby Simba » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:28 am

had one for 3 years, as a family wagon they are hard to beat. Really roomy, easyiest of cars to drive. As a tow vehicle they are ok. I felt it struggles on inclines pretty bad. They are rated to 2300 kg. On a nice flat road it did tow pretty good. We had the 4sp auto tho.
Member 7769
Simba

Postby treay81 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:32 am

Lift up rear carpet and inspect flooring for rust, Also look up from underneath on the rear wheel wells and flooring where possible. My cousin owns a spray shop and told me when I was looking at them to look for signs of rust.

Other than that I think they are pretty good hey
treay81
Wake to Wake

Postby Matty4 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:49 am

I'm on my second one now and they are a great family/tow vehicle.
My current one is a turbo Ghia that is tuned for around 300kw, so towing's a snap (just a bit thirsty...lol)

Look for a SY model AWD, it will have the ZF 6 sp box as standard, awesome trans.
Check the usual stuff but also have a look at the front ball joints to see if they have been replaced. Ford are currently running a replacement program of new, improved and redesigned balljoints and are replacing them free of charge up to 150000k's.

Also pull the rubbr seal off around the bottom of the tailgate opening to check for rust, some are pone to it there.

Otherwise you can't really go wrong with one. If it is to become a family car, try and get a 7 seater, opens up more versatility and resale down the track too. It's not the greatest setup, but for occassional use they're fine, and you lose next to no boot area.
Matty4
Tantrum
Malibu Owner

Postby coody » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:12 am

Cheers for replys so far guys, re. The rust around ttailgate seal I've heard about that in a few other forums, what is causing that???

How will I know if the ball joints have been done, are the new ones visually different or something???
coody
Off Axis 5
Flightcraft Owner

Postby Matty4 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 am

coody wrote:Cheers for replys so far guys, re. The rust around ttailgate seal I've heard about that in a few other forums, what is causing that???

How will I know if the ball joints have been done, are the new ones visually different or something???

Poor paint coverage during spraying would lead to it rusting under the seal. They have a 5 year rust/corrosion warranty, so look for one with that warranty if the rust is there.

Ring a Ford dealer with the rego and they will be able to tell you if the car is subject the recall program for the balljoints. Alternatively ask the owner or dealer.
Matty4
Tantrum
Malibu Owner

Postby Ken » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:21 am

I have one as my work can & tow car.
With the 6 speed - it tows the 210 easily, & if you can handle the fuel bill, quite quickly...
Don't worry about the ball joints being replaced or not as long as the car is under 150K, they'll do them for nothing if they need replacing.
Ken
Temper Tantrum
Nautique Owner

Postby bdh1974 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:59 pm

I had a 2008 TX Rear wheel drive in Petrol which was good, never had a problem towing.

Now have a 2011 TX Diesel, rear wheel drive. It tows perfect when boat/trailer is loaded up. Yes it used a bit more diesel on the longer runs through the hills towing, but on the highway havent had too much issue.

Having a mate that owes a dealership also helps. His wife tows a horse float from Sydney to Tamworth with no issues.

Without towing we are averaging 8's to low 9's for city driving, on the open road with cruise have seen it as low as 7.1 , we have just ticked over 15,000 km. SO off for a service now, no issues to talk of.

Cheers
Brad.
Go Hard or Go Home
bdh1974
Tantrum
Flightcraft Owner

Postby Justo77 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 pm

treay81 wrote:Lift up rear carpet and inspect flooring for rust, Also look up from underneath on the rear wheel wells and flooring where possible. My cousin owns a spray shop and told me when I was looking at them to look for signs of rust.

Other than that I think they are pretty good hey

I had rust in the rear of my 06 Territory around the tailgate seal as well as a few other quality issues all of which were fixed under warranty.

These things aside, it was a great car to drive, roomy, well laid out and towed the boat well.
Justo77
Fashion Air

Postby kjazat » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Yep I had one and for small boats under 2 ton they are fine - I picked up a bigger boat over 2 ton and they are no good. Heavy on fuel, bad on ramp and if you need to get going it takes forever. On the flat yep on anything else no. If you have small boat good above that have a look at other for around the same dollars you wish to spend that rate for bigger ton's. Also if you fill the boat with fuel and other items it does start to add the weight up. If you have a prang and the ton rate does not match the car then your insurance is shot.
kjazat

Postby lewy71 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Have a 2006 AWD 6 Speed had to put air bags on it as the rear springs are a bit soft for boats weighing around 2000kg. They are thirsty when towing 20+l/100klm, but then I tend to tow at faster speeds. Just converted mine to Lpi liquid LPG injection actually makes more power than petrol and most of the power gains are low down torque. Have not towed the boat yet but looking forward to seeing how it performs. I test drove the new diesel Territory and was disappointed in it's performance especially the throttle response. Did a bit of research and found that Ford have chosen a old technology diesel from a 2004 Landrover Discovery. The real world consumption figures have not been flattering either.

Look for a 2006 or later SY with AWD as the 6speed was standard in them. Ford has finally done a proper recall on the lower ball joints redesigning the whole lower control arm (recall R1011) so you can take your new purchase and have it done for free. Applies to all SX and SYI Territories
Last edited by lewy71 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewy71
Crow-Mobe

Postby jwp » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:58 pm

A mate of mine has an 05 territory turbo and it has no dramas pulling his wakesetter!!
Do it while you still can...
jwp
Mastercraft Owner

Postby coody » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Kjazat I think im reading your last post right but are you saying they tow fine under 2tonne but over is bad on fuel, bad on ramp etc etc??? My boat is a flightcraft spectre so definately under two tonne
coody
Off Axis 5
Flightcraft Owner

Postby kjazat » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Mate with that size boat the Terra will do it easy. I loved the Terra for 4 years and we had boat around about the same size - did not even know it was their - but get over 2+ ton's and things change all round with a car out front. Hope that helps.
kjazat

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:52 pm

I pull 2.3t with an AWD Tezza weekly.
To sat they struggle is simply not true.
Yes they chew juice but so will any 6 or 8 cylinder petrol when you tow big boats.
Ken
Temper Tantrum
Nautique Owner

Postby lukebeddo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:35 pm

hey man i have a 06 territory turbo been the best car we have had and its for sale, we took it up at x mass and we dont want to damage a good car we looking 4x4 ute, never missed a bet tow ya dont no my 17ft millard there full load boat gear fuel we got about 250 off half a tank my mates with 4x4 utes get the same im in ballarat victoria you can txt me if you are keen 0418590529 Luke
lukebeddo
Surface 180

Postby coody » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:34 am

Well a little belated but the ttime has come to finally go to the big smoke and get a tezza,

Have my eyes on a 2007 sy sr awd with 160,000kms.

It has the 3rd row sseats in it though, do these still fold down fully flat like the standard 2 row seating configuration does? I plan on being able to sleep in the back of it sometimes so want to be sure the seats are fully flat even with the 3rd row
coody
Off Axis 5
Flightcraft Owner

Next

• Advertisement