matrix expression MVS - piggy back ballast (surf bags)?

Postby feral » Fri May 29, 2015 4:47 pm

Anybody fitted piggy back ballast (surf bags) to a v-drive expression?

I am pretty sure I have worked it out, just need to order some bits and try it out but would be very interested in what has worked for others.

I am thinking the stock pumps (pure piggy back), a couple of "Y" fittings ("WYE") and a tap to avoid filling the surf bag when not using.

thanks.
Tim.
"Snappers Paradise" - Swan Reach, SA
Matrix Expression MVS "Hakuna Matata 2"

www.facebook.com/SnappersWakeCrew?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

[i]sometimes you race as hard as you can but just can't get away from the Snapperheads[/i]
feral
Toe 720

Re: matrix expression MVS - piggy back ballast (surf bags)?

Postby feral » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:05 am

Nobody?
Made a plan on the weekend but would love other people's thoughts?

[i]sometimes you race as hard as you can but just can't get away from the Snapperheads[/i]
feral
Toe 720

Postby sleddog » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Does the Matrix have hard tanks or bags as the stock ballast? Does it run aerator or reversible pumps?

The reversible pumps are a much easier install than the aerators, basically you remove the factory vent hose, join the outlet of the tank to the inlet of the bag with a hose and fittings and then join the outlet of the bag to the factory through hull vent. If you do not want to fill up the bag, you can get a quick connector that will connect the outlet hose of the hard tank to the factory vent hose which will bypass the bag and you can just use the stock ballast as normal.

Here is a thread on the install of piggyback for a Mastercraft with reversible pumps.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/sho ... hp?t=47223

Here is a diagram for aerator pumps from wake makers. They are a good source of parts and info
http://www.wakemakers.com/wp/wp-content ... system.jpg
sleddog

Postby feral » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:04 pm

sleddog wrote:Does the Matrix have hard tanks or bags as the stock ballast? Does it run aerator or reversible pumps?

The reversible pumps are a much easier install than the aerators, basically you remove the factory vent hose, join the outlet of the tank to the inlet of the bag with a hose and fittings and then join the outlet of the bag to the factory through hull vent. If you do not want to fill up the bag, you can get a quick connector that will connect the outlet hose of the hard tank to the factory vent hose which will bypass the bag and you can just use the stock ballast as normal.

Here is a thread on the install of piggyback for a Mastercraft with reversible pumps.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/sho ... hp?t=47223

Here is a diagram for aerator pumps from wake makers. They are a good source of parts and info
http://www.wakemakers.com/wp/wp-content ... system.jpg

cheers - yes I have seen that thread on the reversible pumps.

expression has reversible pumps on hard tanks at rear.

the only real difference is the tanks are on their side (upright) and the bag will lie next to them not on top (not really piggy more spoon).

I plan to do it just like that but with a Y valve on the fill side so I fill the tank (to overflow) then swap to fill the bag (to overflow).

(there are no gauges so filling the tank to overflow will be important for when wakeboarding - most of the time).

from my drawings the vent is easy though I will probably run a vent tube through the centre of the bag so it cant fold and vacuum and suck the gizzards out of the pump.

thanks for the reply - supreised no one has done it on an expression (bag size and setup successs)

cheers again.

feral
Toe 720

Postby sleddog » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:03 pm

That sounds like it might work. I used a 1/4" clear plastic tube in my bag so that there is always air available and no chance that the hard tank can crack
sleddog

Postby Brentos » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:21 am

Check out wakemakers.com they will give you some good ideas and you can also buy complete kits
Brentos
Malibu Owner

Postby feral » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 am

Brentos wrote:Check out wakemakers.com they will give you some good ideas and you can also buy complete kits

yep cheers, been in contact with them - looking for someone that has actually done it on the specific boat (bag size, tricks and tips).

feral
Toe 720

• Advertisement