Finally got a boat

Postby redline » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:29 am

Well after much deliberation I finally picked a boat up , we decided on a 2003 excel 21 skicraft so by the time summer gets here we will be ready to go
Mag 350 mercruiser 380 hours / monster wake tower with the black metallic gel oat can't wait to get her home. Won't know ourselves from our old "redline "Lewis tornado
redline
Wake to Wake

Re: Finally got a boat

Postby will » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:18 am

Awesome! Have fun!!
Enjoy the ride. Any time on the water is good time!
will

Postby feral1 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:30 am

Nice score, I love my excel albeit being a 96 model. 4 Blade props do real well on them.
feral1
Fashion Air

Postby Feetfirst » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:09 pm

Congrats REDLINE,
I recently bought a 06 Skicraft Senator and it was performing well (what I thought). I do a fair bit of footing and wanted a little bit more at the top end, max was 42MPH. I did some research and finally decided to change the Lundberg 4 blade 13 x 14 to an Acme 3 blade 13 x 12 (515) and the difference was unbelievable. Better holeshot, top end, handling, even all those little vibrations though the rev range were gone. It also brought the engine into the manufactures specs for WOT. Top end is now 47MPH. The Acme's are expensive but after seeing the difference they are IMHO worth every cent. Just something to keep in mind. Regards,
Feetfirst
Tantrum
Skicraft Owner

Postby redline » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:50 pm

Feetfirst wrote:Congrats REDLINE,
I recently bought a 06 Skicraft Senator and it was performing well (what I thought). I do a fair bit of footing and wanted a little bit more at the top end, max was 42MPH. I did some research and finally decided to change the Lundberg 4 blade 13 x 14 to an Acme 3 blade 13 x 12 (515) and the difference was unbelievable. Better holeshot, top end, handling, even all those little vibrations though the rev range were gone. It also brought the engine into the manufactures specs for WOT. Top end is now 47MPH. The Acme's are expensive but after seeing the difference they are IMHO worth every cent. Just something to keep in mind. Regards,

Sweet ! any other information that anyone,has feel free to post it up here
redline
Wake to Wake

Postby redline » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:44 pm

one of the things i am looking for is a set of mag wheels for the ezytow trailer . So i have been told they are a ford pattern off a skicraft dealer but i didn't get the size of the standard wheels and what sort of mags i can put on the trailer
redline
Wake to Wake

Postby feral1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:53 am

The wheel size should be on the compliance plate of the trailer and it should also confirm the stud pattern too. I put 16x8 with 225/50 series tyres on my ezytow trailer from an ED XR8. They fit good, but you wouldn't want any wider as they only just fit in the guards. I picked up 5 wheels in good nick with good tyres for $600.

My 4 blade prop is also an acme but a 12.5 x 12.5 and I get about 45 mph, 350 Mercruiser carby with velvet drive. the 12 x 13 that feetfirst mentioned is standard fitment to many Malibu responses. Cassel Marine were good for their prop prices and it's worth every cent spent on an acme.
feral1
Fashion Air

Postby Feetfirst » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:39 pm

Redline,
Another thing I found, When I was recarpeting the old girl I had everything pulled down and I found a primary filter (the canister type) from the fuel tank attached to the stringers in between the rudder post and the gearbox. The hose clamps that sealed the hose to the filter barbs had completely corroded away and it was only the elasticity of the hose from stopping a potential 135 litres of fuel siphoning into the bilge. I am not sure whether this filter was a previous owner added extra or was installed from factory but it is something that could have caused a rather inconvenient fire. Not to mention the fact that this filter had quite obviously never been replaced in its life also.

My trailer has 235 55 17's
Regards,
Feetfirst
Tantrum
Skicraft Owner

Postby redline » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:59 pm

has anyone mucked around with this "wake plate "
redline
Wake to Wake

Postby 82Juddcraft » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:50 am

Show us ya boat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
82Juddcraft
Raley

Postby redline » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:20 pm

b5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redline
Wake to Wake

Postby lewy71 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:31 am

Those kids are going to have a summer to remember :dance:
lewy71
Crow-Mobe

Postby redline » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:22 pm

okay now I have the boat I am trying to sort a set rims for it , now they are definitely ford hubs with 114.3 pcd with 1/2 inch studs the offset is the killer with a lot of rims . I took it to a tyre dealer and he seems to think I can getaway with a 36 pos offset .
I am just wondering what people have found what fits there trailer ? obviously ford pre AU seems to be the main ones but has any one fitted Subaru or lexus etc just trying to see what my options are
redline
Wake to Wake

Postby Simba » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:18 pm

my second boat was an excel 21. Good boat, handled well. After a season or 2 got sick of no windscreen...I found without weight the wake was very weight sensitive. Always getting the passengers moving around to get the weight distribution right so the wake wouldnt collapse. Found it much better when just putting a 150 ltr sack in the rear locker. Wake was much better and not so sensitive. However definitley had to shorten the rope a bit. For a real big difference in the wake you need to sink the whole hull on the excel 21 & senator. So a 150 ltr sack each side of the engine worked best. But pain in the ass moving around the boat and you got to be on your toes as a driver when turning back into your rollers or else its quickly a spa bath.

Have fun
Member 7769
Simba

Postby redline » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:51 pm

first day on the river , the boat went great
gh4.JPG
redline
Wake to Wake

Postby redline » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Simba wrote:my second boat was an excel 21. Good boat, handled well. After a season or 2 got sick of no windscreen...I found without weight the wake was very weight sensitive. Always getting the passengers moving around to get the weight distribution right so the wake wouldnt collapse. Found it much better when just putting a 150 ltr sack in the rear locker. Wake was much better and not so sensitive. However definitley had to shorten the rope a bit. For a real big difference in the wake you need to sink the whole hull on the excel 21 & senator. So a 150 ltr sack each side of the engine worked best. But pain in the ass moving around the boat and you got to be on your toes as a driver when turning back into your rollers or else its quickly a spa bath.

Have fun

sounds like you just bought the wrong boat for your needs
redline
Wake to Wake

Postby Feetfirst » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:25 pm

Stoked your first outing was a success, You'll need to join the "SKICRAFT OWNERS" tag and commit to having a friggin big grin on your face every time you go out.....:-)
Feetfirst
Tantrum
Skicraft Owner

Postby feral1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:52 am

Looks sweet on the water as do all skicrafts :)
feral1
Fashion Air

Postby Feetfirst » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Servicecaq wrote:Good to see that boat finally making it back lol Can't wait for some crappie /whites trip to canyon . Did you wrap it up with LED's too ?

Ummm, ???
Feetfirst
Tantrum
Skicraft Owner

Postby Simba » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:48 pm

redline wrote:
Simba wrote:my second boat was an excel 21. Good boat, handled well. After a season or 2 got sick of no windscreen...I found without weight the wake was very weight sensitive. Always getting the passengers moving around to get the weight distribution right so the wake wouldnt collapse. Found it much better when just putting a 150 ltr sack in the rear locker. Wake was much better and not so sensitive. However definitley had to shorten the rope a bit. For a real big difference in the wake you need to sink the whole hull on the excel 21 & senator. So a 150 ltr sack each side of the engine worked best. But pain in the ass moving around the boat and you got to be on your toes as a driver when turning back into your rollers or else its quickly a spa bath.

Have fun

sounds like you just bought the wrong boat for your needs

not really, was a good boat, just pointing out that the hull is sensitive to weight distribution and to improve it you need to get weight in the centre. That advice came from the GM and skicraft. You realise fast that its a pain in the ass when your wake is crumbling
Member 7769
Simba

Next