Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby themooch » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:22 pm

Some other things you may want to consider. What happens if I spring a fuel leak at the tank, or along the fuel line? Where will the petrol go? Will it be easy to clean up? Will it become dangerous? How do I fill the tank safely? Where do I put the breathers so as not to put dangerous fumes in the boat?
electrical contractor. Adelaide. Mastercraft X5 2000 model
themooch
Wake to Wake
Mastercraft Owner
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:00 pm
Location: adelaide
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby Honour » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:29 pm

themooch wrote:Personally I can't see a great benefit to moving either until you get your motor and prop issue sorted. You could end up chopping up the boat and spending dough on something that will offer marginal gains. Just keep in mind that as you run your tank dry, it's effectiveness as ballast up front diminishes. Try putting a stingray on your outboard. And not a cheap knockoff either. I had one on my old 120 johnson and it definitely helped the boat plane quicker. Only reason I took it off is because it had the reverse effect of what a wedge does! And to be honest, that 120 was on my old 16 1/2 ft runabout, and it had no problem pulling three kneeboarders, or two wakeboarders at barely half throttle. Big three person tubes were a struggle; we'd lean forward like you said earlier, but it still did it. So I don't think horsepower is the problem. And yeah, the extra thumping up front can't be good for a battery, or the fuel tank/fitting/hoses and clamps etc. plus, you'll need to run bigger cables to the starter motor ie voltdrop/fuse protection of the cable etc. food for thought.


Very good points. I actually ordered an SE Sport 300 hydrofoil today, so will get that fitted shortly and see what difference it makes to performance. I think I will heed your advice, and focus on getting the motor sorted first. You'd suggest trying a replacement prop as one of the first items? The current is a 17 pitch - should I replace with alike? Or change pitch?

And yes, the potential issues that arise from extended fuel lines etc do concern me, especially as one of the frequent passengers is a smoker - don't want this to end badly.
Honour
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby 82Juddcraft » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Getting a vented prop may help too.
82Juddcraft
Raley
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:46 pm
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby themooch » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:57 am

I'll try to find the number of a prop repairer north of Adelaide. He may be able to fix yours or do a try before you buy deal. And I'd at least try a like for like prop first. Someone's fitted that prop at some stage for a reason; wouldn't hurt to find out why
electrical contractor. Adelaide. Mastercraft X5 2000 model
themooch
Wake to Wake
Mastercraft Owner
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:00 pm
Location: adelaide
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby Honour » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:02 pm

themooch wrote:I'll try to find the number of a prop repairer north of Adelaide. He may be able to fix yours or do a try before you buy deal. And I'd at least try a like for like prop first. Someone's fitted that prop at some stage for a reason; wouldn't hurt to find out why


That'd be excellent if you could.
So are you suggesting this is the incorrect prop then? Any idea what the normal pitch/prop would be on a boat like this?
Honour
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby 82Juddcraft » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Honour wrote:
themooch wrote:I'll try to find the number of a prop repairer north of Adelaide. He may be able to fix yours or do a try before you buy deal. And I'd at least try a like for like prop first. Someone's fitted that prop at some stage for a reason; wouldn't hurt to find out why


That'd be excellent if you could.
So are you suggesting this is the incorrect prop then? Any idea what the normal pitch/prop would be on a boat like this?

Ya better off taking the boat to a guy because he'll look at the boat as a package if that makes sense.
Shape of hull, weight, motor size, rev range, gear ratio.
I'd look at getting a aluminum one to start with just in case u don't like it.
82Juddcraft
Raley
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:46 pm
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby Honour » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:18 pm

82Juddcraft wrote:
Honour wrote:
themooch wrote:I'll try to find the number of a prop repairer north of Adelaide. He may be able to fix yours or do a try before you buy deal. And I'd at least try a like for like prop first. Someone's fitted that prop at some stage for a reason; wouldn't hurt to find out why


That'd be excellent if you could.
So are you suggesting this is the incorrect prop then? Any idea what the normal pitch/prop would be on a boat like this?

Ya better off taking the boat to a guy because he'll look at the boat as a package if that makes sense.
Shape of hull, weight, motor size, rev range, gear ratio.
I'd look at getting a aluminum one to start with just in case u don't like it.


Agreed. I've tried to get it contact with a local mobile boat mechanic who can come out to look, but no luck yet. Would be great to have someone inspect the whole package rather than just trying to fix bits here and there. In the meantime however, I will put on the hydrofoil, and install a 15 pitch prop I've located, and see how that performs.
Honour
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby mattygray » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:53 am

Those older outboards had their horsepower measured at the flywheel. These days they are rated at the prop. With that and the age of the motor you might only be running 60 - 70 Hp. IMHO you are wasting your time re-propping and shifting weight especially when a third person in the boat has such a negative effect. If you are happy with the hull, look to trade up to a 115. It might only cost a few grand if you can buy and sell well. I had an old Bullet 1500 with a 115 V4 that went pretty well.
Damn Straight!
User avatar
mattygray
720
Mastercraft Owner
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Wollongong
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby Feetfirst » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:22 pm

Honour wrote:
motard_mike wrote:That was my first boat aswell! great little thing and will have plenty of power. i can wake board behind a 40hp and i'm not little....... so i doubt hp is your issue

Try moving your fuel tank/tanks up the front, trim the motor down as far as you can and if you are still struggling look at a perma trim or some kind of larger cav plate for the motor. prop looks ok....


So glad to hear you say this, as I was pretty disappointed when we first hopped in it. It literally hardly moves initially, so am happy to hear there may be solutions.
I will look at moving the tank and battery forward, as they are both currently in the rear, against the transom. Would it pay for some other ballast up front?
It also seems that it just bogs down a lot. I would have thought that the prop would keep powering up as you increase throttle, however it seems to bog down, almost like a traction control feeling. However on my family's 140hp Yamaha on the Whitley, it seems to power up and make all the good noise, until the boat starts to accelerate. In keeping with the car metaphor, it is like it does a big bogan burnout before gaining traction. Which is the norm?


You mention that it feels like it "bogs" down. I had a Johnson 70 ages ago and it had a computer problem where it went into "engine save mode" and would only allow it to power up to about 55% (I think). It sounded like it was running fine but just wouldn't rev out. When it was checked without load (out of the water) everything appeared fine until it went into the water again and loaded up. I eventually had to replace the computer module and it went like a rocket after that. (this was on a 4.5m tinny).
Feetfirst
Tantrum
Skicraft Owner
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:55 am
Location: Bargara
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby Honour » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:31 pm

mattygray wrote:Those older outboards had their horsepower measured at the flywheel. These days they are rated at the prop. With that and the age of the motor you might only be running 60 - 70 Hp. IMHO you are wasting your time re-propping and shifting weight especially when a third person in the boat has such a negative effect. If you are happy with the hull, look to trade up to a 115. It might only cost a few grand if you can buy and sell well. I had an old Bullet 1500 with a 115 V4 that went pretty well.


That would be ideal, as I am also concerned about the age of the motor, and that it may end up being a continuous cycle of repairs etc., however I simply can't afford to get a new motor at this stage unfortunately. Will try to get the best out of this I can, then perhaps look at a larger, newer craft in a couple of years.
Honour
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby Honour » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:34 pm

Feetfirst wrote:You mention that it feels like it "bogs" down. I had a Johnson 70 ages ago and it had a computer problem where it went into "engine save mode" and would only allow it to power up to about 55% (I think). It sounded like it was running fine but just wouldn't rev out. When it was checked without load (out of the water) everything appeared fine until it went into the water again and loaded up. I eventually had to replace the computer module and it went like a rocket after that. (this was on a 4.5m tinny).


It certainly sounds like what you're describing - like as though there is a restriction on revs under load. Out of water it definitely appears to run perfectly.
Honour
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby themooch » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:48 pm

GM and EC hosking. 82505974. 20 pentland rd Salisbury south. These guys do aluminium repairs on marine gear. They were recommended to me. They have a Facebook page. They might have an answer for your prop
electrical contractor. Adelaide. Mastercraft X5 2000 model
themooch
Wake to Wake
Mastercraft Owner
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:00 pm
Location: adelaide
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby Honour » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:50 pm

themooch wrote:GM and EC hosking. 82505974. 20 pentland rd Salisbury south. These guys do aluminium repairs on marine gear. They were recommended to me. They have a Facebook page. They might have an answer for your prop


Awesome - thanks heaps mate. Will get in contact with them.
Honour
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby themooch » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Honour wrote:
themooch wrote:GM and EC hosking. 82505974. 20 pentland rd Salisbury south. These guys do aluminium repairs on marine gear. They were recommended to me. They have a Facebook page. They might have an answer for your prop


Awesome - thanks heaps mate. Will get in contact with them.


How did you go?
electrical contractor. Adelaide. Mastercraft X5 2000 model
themooch
Wake to Wake
Mastercraft Owner
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:00 pm
Location: adelaide
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby Honour » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:17 pm

themooch wrote:
Honour wrote:
themooch wrote:GM and EC hosking. 82505974. 20 pentland rd Salisbury south. These guys do aluminium repairs on marine gear. They were recommended to me. They have a Facebook page. They might have an answer for your prop


Awesome - thanks heaps mate. Will get in contact with them.


How did you go?


Hey mate, haven't had a chance to contact anyone yet - have been flat out. Thinking I might throw the hydrofoil on first and see how it performs, then take it from there.
Honour
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby Honour » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:44 pm

So I finally had a chance to take the boat out to see what difference the hydrofoil made. It certainly pops out of the hole a lot easier, and most noticeably, it doesn't bog down anywhere near as much. When turning tight circles before, the boat would pretty well stop, but now it just keeps powering through. Thanks for the suggestion!
I also tried changing my fuel - the guy I bought it from suggested 91 unleaded, with a 1:40 2 stroke ratio, but after a bit of reading I decided to try premium unleaded, with a 1:50 ratio. Seemed a bit smoother.

Next step is taking it to Bluewater Marine in SA to have them check it all out.
Honour
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby 82Juddcraft » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:41 am

The height of the outboard might have something to do with it too.
The higher the prop is on the hull the more top speed.
The lower the prop the more acceleration... just another .02c
82Juddcraft
Raley
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:46 pm
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby Alastair » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:41 pm

might be worth getting the reeds replaced... just a thought..
Alastair
Tantrum
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:00 pm
Location: australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby Honour » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:16 am

Alastair wrote:might be worth getting the reeds replaced... just a thought..



Something for me talk with the mechanic about. Cheers!
Honour
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Swiftcraft Stiletto - too small?

Postby Honour » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm

So I finally had the boat out over the new year break, after finally completing the restoration. I left it with Bluewater Marine here in SA for a couple of weeks, who found that a few of the electrical wires the motor had had their covers perish, and were likely arcing on each other. Had all of this replaced, with a full service and tune, and also a restoration of my prop. Certainly seemed to perform a lot better, and with only two people in the boat and one on the board, we could actually get the wakeboard up. That said, it was still a real task to get it on the plane, and the two in the boat had to really lean forward to get it up. Perhaps my poor old Blue band is just a bit tired? Mechanics report it all seems in good order, especially after the service. Maybe it's just time I look for something a little bigger. Photos for those interested -
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z253 ... 8A9201.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z253 ... 905690.jpg
Honour
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 12 guests