Re: GT40 Engine Block (1998 Air Nautique)

Postby kg541 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks guys for all your help.

I picked up a pair of second hand heads from QLD. The original GT40 heads were difficult to source. The heads are due to arrive next Tuesday and hopefully the machine shop will have them ready by Friday so I can put the boat back in the water in the weekend for a test run.

In the mean time I have been detailing the boat. All the interior has been removed so the gell coat can be polished and carpet professionally cleaned.

I'm also tying the get the heater back in the boat. I pressure tested the unit and it is fine it's just the motor will not function. When I plug it in it seems to click when I turn the switch but noting else. Hoping if I clean the terminals up it will come back to life. If not I will have to start troubleshooting and possibly try find a replacement motor. can anybody confirm the connection point of the hoses to the engine. From what I have researched the connection is on the drivers side of the engine below the head and the bottom of the cast U elbow on the front of the engine.

Lewy I thought yours was rear mount?
kg541
Tantrum
Nautique Owner

Postby kg541 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:33 pm

I got the heads back from the machine shop today. They have done an amazing job so happy with them.
We have planned to put the engine back together tomorrow afternoon.

Does anybody know how I can get fresh water cooling on th GT40 engine. Skidim sell the exchanger unit for $378 U.S. but that is not the kit. I found a kit on eBay but not sure it it will work. I have had a look at the part schematic for the factory fresh water cooling system and it seeps to have a different thermostat housing. Surely someone has fitted an aftermarket kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-351-5-8L-Fr ... 1907481207
kg541
Tantrum
Nautique Owner

Postby kg541 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Photo of the finnished product. They had to replace a stainless valve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kg541
Tantrum
Nautique Owner

Postby JBWake » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Heads come up a treat.

Hopefully you can get it all back together and start having some fun with it on the water rather than in the shed!
Brownie knows boats!
JBWake
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby kg541 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:53 am

Hey guys thanks heaps for all the help. The new heads did the trick, there was nothing wrong with the block. No water in the cylinders and consistant pressures, she is running amazing. Have had her out in the water a few times now.
I had to completely overhaul the trailer, with new electric breaks and bearings as the old ones fell apart as the wrong seal was used. Current projects are powder coating the tower, dual battery's and upgraded stereo.
Thanks again
kg541
Tantrum
Nautique Owner

Previous