Best type of Wake boarding boat

Postby Willo1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:46 pm

I hope this is alright to post . Hi all I am after opinions as to the best type of Wake boarding boat i.e. outboard ,inboard , Stern or jet? looking to buy a new boat but want the best for the job. If you are selling me a boat please don't comment.
Cheers
Willo
Willo1
Surface 180

Re: Best type of Wake boarding boat

Postby hoppuspears » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:18 pm

V drive or Inboard. Most of the new wake boats are V drive. Jet, Stern or outboard are certainly not the best. Depends what your budget allows i suppose. What were you planning on spending?
hoppuspears
Wake to Wake

Postby Willo1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:19 pm

my budget is about 36 grand from what i have red v drive is the best
Willo1
Surface 180

Postby will » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:16 am

Hey, thought I'd chime in because I've seen many people buy the wrong boat straight up. How long have you been wakeboarding? Got a family? Wanting to go once a week? More? Only a couple of trips over summer? V drives are amazing, but the majority of people I've boarded with can't get wake to wake behind small fishing boats despite how close the wakes are together, let alone a monster wake machine. You've got a good budget, so I'd suggest an early to mid 2000's Super Air Nautique if you are super keen on going out frequently, or take a lot of people out. Massive wake, user friendly, can surf well.

If you are just getting into the sport and have a couple of mates, save some $$$ and get something older. You said no sellers, and I'm not, but if I had 20k, I'd be on the nautique advertised in the boats section here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37699

Why? because it still throws an excellent weight when ballasted, has most of the essentials and would save you 16k. I'm an intermediate rider - I have several inverts and spins, and the wake these throw is twice the size of the wake I am used to (fishing boat) and certainly enough to do damage to knees if you want to go big :) :) :) You can certainly surf behind them too with small tweaking.

Finally, if you have a young family, something like a bayliner, stejcraft etc. may work. You'll be pulling tubes and kneeboards more than wakeboards, and comfort is the name of the game. Outboards can't be surfed, but you can take it out to the islands and if it is an alloy hull, beach it safely. They throw a usable wake, nothing massive, but you can certainly learn all the basics and get a few inverts happening.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions! Most of the guys here are very knowledgeable on boats.
Enjoy the ride. Any time on the water is good time!
will

Postby Willo1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:22 am

Thanks for the advice . i am upgrading from a Panther Pride, its time to go to the next level .after weighing up all the options I am looking for a v drive , bow rider ,ballast tanks. These are some of the ones I'm thinking about ? 2006 Calabria Pro V ,2007 SUPRA LAUNCH 21V ,2002 Supra launch 22ssv ,2004 Nautiqe 210 super air.
Willo1
Surface 180

Postby will » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:01 pm

NICE! I'm certainly a big fan of the Supra's and the SAN's. I haven't ridden a calabria pro before. Let us know which way you go!
Enjoy the ride. Any time on the water is good time!
will

Postby team v » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi i upgraded to a 09 Calabria from a 02 Searay 18ft v6 stern drive and what a difference the only bad thing i have found needed a new car to tow it.
the wake is more then double the size, i think the wake is quite steep but haven't really been behind any other boats to compare and weight placement
i found is important [even wake both sides] but have been told a lot of other boats are like that as well.
i think calabria are good value as most of them all run same running gear and for the same year in the brand names were 10/15000 dearer at time of buying mine it has every thing we need but no surf gate
but on the bright side i save 100 + thousand.
team v
Surface 180

Postby hoppuspears » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:52 pm

Tbh any boat you said will probably be perfect for what you want. If you are seriously considering buying one get someone to do a good check over of the boat. Could save you big money in the future. Service history/log books and any info is always good.
hoppuspears
Wake to Wake

Postby waysouth » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:03 pm

Consider resale value in buying your boat, imho you cant beat the resale on the big 3.
waysouth
Blind 3

Postby Alastair » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Weigh up what you want from it and how far your going to push yourself.

Heaps of people on my lake with new SAN, g23, latest wake setter etc etc. And there all beginners who are scared of the wake unloaded. a big wake will hold you back in the early stages imo.

Remember parks etc were riding behind direct drives in the early days so an 01 air nautique will easily meet your needs for many years

In saying that I know how cramped a DD is with a few sacks.
Alastair
Tantrum

Postby Willo1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 pm

My New Girl.2006 Calabria Pro V
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Willo1
Surface 180

Postby Renton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:31 pm

Nice one mate. I think I saw that boat for sale. Did you buy it from Secret Harbour?
Renton
Surface 180

Postby Willo1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:37 pm

yep
:D
Willo1
Surface 180

Postby Renton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Thought so. Don't see many of those around. Looks nice 8)

If you're looking for anymore riders/drivers let me know. Have a ski boat myself, just rebuilding gearbox atm. Try get out most weekends.
Renton
Surface 180

Postby Willo1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Yer sure if your keen we mainly go to Stockton near Collie .
Willo1
Surface 180

• Advertisement