Boat exploded

Postby Eagle1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:56 pm

Bloke out my way put his boat in the water after refueling and straight after he turned on the ignition,it exploded with his daughter thrown up the front of the lewis Center mount (not sure what model) but they say it was started by speaker wires under the rear lounge,it blew the lid of the boat or the top fiber glass section
I have speakers in my boat in the same erea,I use the blower only when I smell fumes but Iv starting using it much more often since this has happened,even thinking of taking these speakers out
Just letting people no about using the blower abit more often could save some ones life's
Eagle1
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:11 pm
Location: Wellington
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Boat exploded

Postby MACH6 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:32 am

I am concerned about this too, I find it pretty scary how frequently it happens.

I fitted up a Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) detector and my blower is auto on when the ignition or power is applied applied.

I also have my blower pickup extending down to the bottom of the bilge so it picks up any vapor as petty is heavier than air and will sink.

When I designed my boat I also made it so the intake air runs the length of the bilge before it is used by the engine so any vapor is flushed from the low spots and consumed by the engine.
User avatar
MACH6
540
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 12:00 am
Location: North Brisbane
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Boat exploded

Postby 82Juddcraft » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:00 pm

I bought a blower at the start of this week. $90 that gets u a blower outlet and ~2m of duct. I was there thinking of doing the same, rigging it up through the ignition on a recirculating timer.

Dad blew up his boat back in the 80s, it was from using a car starter motor of a HQ in instead of a marine grade on.
It popped the capping up the nose of the boat.
82Juddcraft
Raley
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:46 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Boat exploded

Postby Eagle1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:42 am

82Juddcraft wrote:I bought a blower at the start of this week. $90 that gets u a blower outlet and ~2m of duct. I was there thinking of doing the same, rigging it up through the ignition on a recirculating timer.

Dad blew up his boat back in the 80s, it was from using a car starter motor of a HQ in instead of a marine grade on.
It popped the capping up the nose of the boat.

I mite do the same this winter juddcraft,would it be better coming on every time the boat has been turned off for 30 seconds,so the fumes are sucked out before the next start up
Eagle1
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:11 pm
Location: Wellington
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Boat exploded

Postby 82Juddcraft » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:43 am

Eagle1 wrote:
82Juddcraft wrote:I bought a blower at the start of this week. $90 that gets u a blower outlet and ~2m of duct. I was there thinking of doing the same, rigging it up through the ignition on a recirculating timer.

Dad blew up his boat back in the 80s, it was from using a car starter motor of a HQ in instead of a marine grade on.
It popped the capping up the nose of the boat.

I mite do the same this winter juddcraft,would it be better coming on every time the boat has been turned off for 30 seconds,so the fumes are sucked out before the next start up

I was thinking of maybe having a delayed timer as well so the blower has to run for 5 seconds before the starter relay will pull in.
Similar to how u'd glow a diesel before u start.
Then have it cycle on/off every 3-5mins while it's running.
82Juddcraft
Raley
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:46 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Boat exploded

Postby Eagle1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:55 am

82Juddcraft wrote:
Eagle1 wrote:
82Juddcraft wrote:I bought a blower at the start of this week. $90 that gets u a blower outlet and ~2m of duct. I was there thinking of doing the same, rigging it up through the ignition on a recirculating timer.

Dad blew up his boat back in the 80s, it was from using a car starter motor of a HQ in instead of a marine grade on.
It popped the capping up the nose of the boat.

I mite do the same this winter juddcraft,would it be better coming on every time the boat has been turned off for 30 seconds,so the fumes are sucked out before the next start up

I was thinking of maybe having a delayed timer as well so the blower has to run for 5 seconds before the starter relay will pull in.
Similar to how u'd glow a diesel before u start.
Then have it cycle on/off every 3-5mins while it's running.


Yep that sounds like the go,let me know how you go with it,mite have a yarn to an auto electrician tomorrow and see if it can be done and how many $$ it would cost,I'll,post it up if I get the info
Cheers
Eagle1
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:11 pm
Location: Wellington
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Boat exploded

Postby 82Juddcraft » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:12 am

That's how I'd rig it up.
Hardest bit will be to find a cheap 12v dc asymmetric timer (recirculating timer)
Ive seen 24v ones for like $60-100 but they're industrial grade for motor control.
U could do it yaself for ~$150 and have it in a sealed box up near the dash I reckon.
rps20170205_110810.jpg
rps20170205_110752.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
82Juddcraft
Raley
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:46 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Boat exploded

Postby Eagle1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:14 pm

Unreal juddcraft,your onto to it mate,I'm useless at wiring, hopefully there's a timer that will do the job, I'll go see my lecko friend and see if he knows where I could find one,
Eagle1
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:11 pm
Location: Wellington
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Boat exploded

Postby mof » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:57 am

Don't over-complicate it. Put a switch for the blower on the dash. Switch it on when you get to the boat ramp. Switch it off when the boat's back on the trailer. When I fitted my perfect pass, I hooked it with the blower, so can't have one without the other, and the throttle won't open unless PP is on.
User avatar
mof
Slurpee
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Boat exploded

Postby 82Juddcraft » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:24 am

But u want to make it idiot proof so if the kids take the boat out or u got a rookie driving and your out the back, that they don't have to touch anything.
82Juddcraft
Raley
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:46 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Boat exploded

Postby Dickj83 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Another thing that should be common practice is to stick your head in the bilge every morning, before the power is turned on, and have a good sniff for any fuel vapours.
User avatar
Dickj83
Tantrum
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:00 pm
Location: Adelaide / White Sands
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 18 times


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests