All round boat for 25k

Postby kelpie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:45 am

hi guys
Looking for an all round boat for 25k
We have teenage kids who enjoy boarding and skiing we have been using a mates American skier. Any ideas on what to look at or if you know of a boat that would suit that would be great. Preferably one in Vic
Cheers
kelpie
Surface 180
Mastercraft Owner

Re: All round boat for 25k

Postby jcooper » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:07 pm

I've had experiences with some of these over the years and should be achievable in your price range being good all-rounders with FNR velvet drives and centre poles:

Aussie built:
- Stejcraft Pro Skier, very popular in the late 80's to early 90's
- Gilflite Shortline 190, as above
- Flightcraft XLT 21 or ' Flightcraft By Malibu' (same hull as early Malibu Response)
- Skicraft Excel perhaps 2000 model (I haven't owned on of these)

USA built:
- Mastercraft Prostar 190 early to mid 90's
- Mastercraft 205 bow rider
- Malibu Response as above

The early Aussie boats are traditionally quite low sitting in the water and have timber floors and stringers and look over windscreens but if you can find a good one perfectly good ski boats, the USA boats are just better in my opinion for handling through years of research and development plus have look thru glass windscreens and no timber.
If it was my $25k the Mastercraft would be the pick of the bunch as they sit a bit higher in the water (larger freeboard) if you want to add some weight, my old Prostar 190 was the most fun boat I've owned (You can do 180's at 40MPH :naughty: ) - not saying the best as I've spent a lot more on other newer ones but good value for money.
Boat Collection 1993 to 2015: Flightcraft Banshee, Hallet Skimaster(x2), Stejcraft Skier(x2), Stejcraft Silhoette, Gilflite Shortline 190, Ramsay Impala, Malibu Response(x2) - Response LX - Response LXi, Sleekline CX22, Mastercraft Prostar 190 & 205
jcooper
Pete Rose
Mastercraft Owner

Postby lewy71 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:54 am

You missed possibly the best US built option. The best quality US Manufacturer is Nautique (Correct Craft) they have numerous US industry awards for quality and design. The old Ski Nautiques 82-89 and can be had for around 20K. They have a great boarding wake, the ski wake is a little rough but better than your average Vdrive. For a little more room the 90 onwards Ski Nautique has a better ski wake with not quite as good boarding wake.
Then for a lot more room go to the Sport Nautique 93 onwards with open bow great all rounders.You may pickup a 93 model for around $25K. You should get a decent latter model (post 98) with large rear trunk for $30-35 the hull went right thru to 2002. When the Aus dollar was at parity a lot of US ski boats were imported, they are out there. You may need to trip interstate though
lewy71
Crow-Mobe

Postby kelpie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Took a road trip on the weekend and purchased a 93 Mastercraft prostar 190.
Photos to come soon.
kelpie
Surface 180
Mastercraft Owner

Postby Alastair » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:24 am

Hey mate,

i'm currently using a 1998 prostar 190, pretty good learners boat IMO.

I'm Riding with 2 150 kg sacs in the back and 3 90kg dudes in the front (including driver) is a pretty good starting point for wakeboarding, im riding that at 65ft (off tower highpole) or 60ft (from centre ski pole) and about 21mph.

no wakesetter wake..... but you can get probably get around 6ft W2W airs if you pop off the wake properly, wake on the port side always seems more rampy.
Alastair
Tantrum

• Advertisement