boat speaker and amp wiring

Postby ashgrylls » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:19 am

hey all wonder if anyone out there can give me some advice on how to wire up my new speaker setup.

i have
a fusion ra50 head unit
4x fusion ms-fr6021 speakers
2x rev 8 toers speakers
1x pyle 400wat amp
1x HT4 wet sounds amp

i have wired the 4 fusion speakers to the pyle amp and planing to wire the 2 revs to the HT4 but my question is do i just link the left and right speaker wires for the revs into the wires coming out of the head unit sam as i have for the fusion? cant really seem to find any diagrams on how to do it.

the head unit has 2 line out rca plugs also so... can i just run them to the new amp for the revs and leave the other amp with the standard speaker wires going to it?

any help will be great

thanks
ashgrylls
Surface 180

Re: boat speaker and amp wiring

Postby 82Juddcraft » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:40 am

Ya need to suss out what watts the speakers are first then.
See what each output is rated at.
Then u just select size cable to accommodate for each speaker wattage draw.

Use muli-strand (flexible) cable apposed to the stiffer hard draw stuff u'd see in a house, it handles vibration better and has a 15% better current carrying capacity.

Solder ya joints and used resin filled heat shrink apposed to insulated crimp links.
And tin the copper first when joining.
82Juddcraft
Raley

Postby ashgrylls » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:51 am

hey thanks for reply

the speaker wattage and ohms are all good have worked all that out just not sure how to add the new rev 8s to my already pluged in fusion/pyle setup.

the pyle runs the fusion 4 speakers with high input plugs connecting the amp to the head unit using the standard speker wiers... no rca plugs.

my main question is the head unit has line out rca plugs will it be ok to run those to the new HT4 amp and then revs from there? im guessing it will work but not 100%

or do i need to get a LOC and run them all to amp from speaker wire outputs on head unit?

sorry if its not making sense

thanks
ashgrylls
Surface 180

Postby Dickj83 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:15 am

Looking at the new amp output and the rev8 speaker wattage, I would run the speakers off of only two of the channels on the amplifier ie so you have only 2x 100w rms channels powering the 2x 100w rms speakers. This will leave two channels of the amplifier free for future speaker additions if needed.
As such you only need two input channels into the amplifier from the headunit. The headunit only has two rca outputs which i would plug into channels 1 and 2 of the amplifier. Then plug the rev 8 speaker wires into the speaker wire channels 1 and 2 of the amp.
This should leave the the two input rcas on the headunit free, as well as channels 3 and 4 rca inputs and the two rca outputs on the amp free.
Dickj83
Tantrum

Postby sleddog » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Does the Pyle amp have low level (RCA) and high level (speaker) input options? If it only has RCA inputs then you will need a line output converter to convert the speaker wires from the head unit to RCA outputs which then can connect to the amp. If the amp has high level inputs then you should be able to connect the speaker wires from the RA50 straight to the amp.

I assume that you are planning to bridge the 4 channels of the HT4 into two channels to power the REV 8's? If so I would run two RCA splitters from the left and right RCA outputs from the RA50, so now you have 4 RCA outputs, two left and two right. Hook up the two left RCA's to channels 1 and 2 inputs and the two right RCA's to channels 3 and 4 inputs on the amp. So when bridged, channels 1 & 2 will power the left speaker and 3 & 4 will power the right speaker.

Another option is the HT4 has an RCA pass through output. You might be able to hook up the Pyle amp to this output and not have to use the speaker outputs from the head unit. You may have to contact wetsounds to see what happens to the RCA pass through in bridged mode. If this is an option then you may have to use RCA splitters with this as well as you may not be able select 2 channel input into the Pyle amp, you may only be able to have 4 channel input.
sleddog

Postby X2rider » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:59 am

Dickj83 wrote:Looking at the new amp output and the rev8 speaker wattage, I would run the speakers off of only two of the channels on the amplifier ie so you have only 2x 100w rms channels powering the 2x 100w rms speakers. This will leave two channels of the amplifier free for future speaker additions if needed.
As such you only need two input channels into the amplifier from the headunit. The headunit only has two rca outputs which i would plug into channels 1 and 2 of the amplifier. Then plug the rev 8 speaker wires into the speaker wire channels 1 and 2 of the amp.
This should leave the the two input rcas on the headunit free, as well as channels 3 and 4 rca inputs and the two rca outputs on the amp free.

Sorry, but this is just plain wrong!
The Rev8's can handle up to 400w rms, so you will need to bridge the HT4 and put it in mono mode which will give you 300w rms which is only just enough power to properly drive these speakers.
He who dies with the most toys: Wins!!
X2rider
Blender
Mastercraft Owner

Postby X2rider » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:22 am

ashgrylls wrote:hey thanks for reply

the speaker wattage and ohms are all good have worked all that out just not sure how to add the new rev 8s to my already pluged in fusion/pyle setup.

the pyle runs the fusion 4 speakers with high input plugs connecting the amp to the head unit using the standard speker wiers... no rca plugs.

my main question is the head unit has line out rca plugs will it be ok to run those to the new HT4 amp and then revs from there? im guessing it will work but not 100%

or do i need to get a LOC and run them all to amp from speaker wire outputs on head unit?

sorry if its not making sense

thanks

I would use the RCA outputs on the head unit into to HT4, and then run from the pass through on the HT4 to the RCA inputs on the Pyle amp. Dont use the speaker outputs on the head unit at all.
Assuming you have the Pyle Hydra amp, it will accept either speaker level or line level inputs.
X2rider
Blender
Mastercraft Owner

Postby Dickj83 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:12 am

My apologies. Not sure where I got the 100w rms for the rev8s.

Wouldnt running a 2x 300w rms into 2 x 200w rms speaker be overpowering them?
I have not installed any rev8's so i am unsure if they can handle the extra power.
If installing them bridged into the amp I would turn the gain and the bass boost right down then tune the amp by listening to speakers to see if they can handle the power. The last thing i would want to do is blow up $1600 worth of speakers.
Dickj83
Tantrum

Postby X2rider » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Dickj83 wrote:My apologies. Not sure where I got the 100w rms for the rev8s.

Wouldnt running a 2x 300w rms into 2 x 200w rms speaker be overpowering them?
I have not installed any rev8's so i am unsure if they can handle the extra power.
If installing them bridged into the amp I would turn the gain and the bass boost right down then tune the amp by listening to speakers to see if they can handle the power. The last thing i would want to do is blow up $1600 worth of speakers.

Rev8's are 2 x 400w RMS and in any case, it is better to over power than under power a set of speakers. The trick is to not have any clipping, as that is a sure fire way to destroy speakers.
X2rider
Blender
Mastercraft Owner

Postby Dickj83 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:03 am

X2rider wrote:
Rev8's are 2 x 400w RMS and in any case, it is better to over power than under power a set of speakers. The trick is to not have any clipping, as that is a sure fire way to destroy speakers.

Looking at the wetsounds website they are 200w RMS and 400w Peak. I wouldnt want to put the full 300w rms of the amp into them. But I guess you dont have to turn the volume all the way up.
Dickj83
Tantrum

Postby X2rider » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:26 pm

Dickj83 wrote:
X2rider wrote:

Looking at the wetsounds website they are 200w RMS and 400w Peak. I wouldnt want to put the full 300w rms of the amp into them. But I guess you dont have to turn the volume all the way up.

Sorry mate, you are correct. I have Rev10's and they are 300w RMS, and i assumed they were the same voicecoil.
But in any case, it is still better to have more power available and just turn the gain down until you have no clipping/distortion.
X2rider
Blender
Mastercraft Owner