Engine Flushing

Postby Crashin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:16 pm

What does everyone do to flush there boats or even just start them in the shed before going for a ride?
Crashin
Surface 180
Tigé Owner

Re: Engine Flushing

Postby feral1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:24 am

I installed a tee piece in the water pick up with a tap on the side and a hose connector coming off that to connect the hose too. To run, connect the hose, turn on the tap and the engine will suck the water through. It works well and saves running the engine and more importantly the water impeller dry. You just have to remember to turn the tap off before you go in the water or you'll cook your engine. Also use a metal tee piece so it doesn't crack or deteriorate over time.
feral1
Fashion Air

Postby 82Juddcraft » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:04 pm

feral1 wrote:I installed a tee piece in the water pick up with a tap on the side and a hose connector coming off that to connect the hose too. To run, connect the hose, turn on the tap and the engine will suck the water through. It works well and saves running the engine and more importantly the water impeller dry. You just have to remember to turn the tap off before you go in the water or you'll cook your engine. Also use a metal tee piece so it doesn't crack or deteriorate over time.

Yeah that's the same as what I had.

This was a mates 2.5L 260hp outboard probably 3 weeks ago. Was getting 35psi at 4000 rpm.
All good now, but it makes u think twice about beaching you boat on the bank.
rps20170404_141252.jpg
rps20170404_141155.jpg
rps20170404_141115.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
82Juddcraft
Raley

Postby feral1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Just after I posted I saw in "the anyhow" clinker build thread, guilty has a pic of his engine flusher. look at the picture in the second to last post of that tread, the one above the pic with his lad and you will see his install. Obviously his pick up comes off the jet unit where your pick up may be direct through the hull. I installed mine closer to the water pump for ease of access to turn it on and off, but then ran a garden hose off the tap down to the back end of my boat and I can access it under the back hatch.
feral1
Fashion Air

Postby 82Juddcraft » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:24 pm

That's what's left of the old setup. Reinforced hose from the pickup and I think that tee went into the intake side of the water pump.
It's was dodge as, old mate that done it even left it cross threaded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
82Juddcraft
Raley

Postby nevergrew » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Used to ride in salt. Flush every time. T piece off the main suction hose before the raw water pump. You simply put a tap and a male garden hose fitting on that additional T hose.

Connect hose and turn on (any pressure) before you start the engine, the initial reverse flush back through the hose removes any debris that might be lodged in it. Once engine has started, the raw water pump starts sucking from the positive water pressure in the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nevergrew
Ozmosis 7
Nautique Owner

• Advertisement