Closed cooling on a dog clutch engine

Postby coody » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:13 pm

This will be for a 350 chev engine.

Have had a bit of a search around, doesnt look like this is a thing, but is there any reason why it would be a bad idea? Obviously the water pump drive will not work conventionally but i was thinking a bolt on electric pump would suffice for the circulation pump and then use a fynspray as the raw water pump going thru a heat exhanger and out the exhausts.

Any thaughts?

Cheers
coody
Off Axis 5
Flightcraft Owner

Re: Closed cooling on a dog clutch engine

Postby 82Juddcraft » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:34 am

I asked a few mates, they want to see the current setup.
82Juddcraft
Raley

Postby coody » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:33 am

Havent got any pics as im doing and engine swap from a for to a chev, havent yet got it together, the ford set up was as follows..

From fynsprsy pump into exhausts headers, out of exhaust headers into dog clutch housing, out of thermostat outlet into exhaust elbows and out the back pipes into the lake again
coody
Off Axis 5
Flightcraft Owner

Postby ski351 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:08 pm

I've only ever seen photos of it done on a Chev.
Unless you're running in salt all the time (even then it's no big deal) I honestly think it's more trouble than it's worth.
K.I.S.S principle works best.
ski351

Postby 82Juddcraft » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:09 pm

82Juddcraft
Raley

Postby ski351 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Fynspray pumps are not a pressure pump therefore won't work to circulate coolant within the block and heat exchanger. You must run an automotive style pump. Very easy to do when driving from the flywheel, complicated when driving from the timing case. The Fynspray pump is only there to push raw water through the exhaust manifolds and the low pressure side of the heat exchanger.
ski351

Postby coody » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:06 am

Would only run a single finspray pump, a 3/4 one that would feed directly into the heat exchanger and out of that it will tee off to both left and right exhaust manifolds and then out the back, that side of its easy and im totally confident that will be fine as thats how the pro's do it :D

For engine coolant circulation obviously the crank pulley drive isnt there due to dog clutch so im thinking an electric water pump will replace that.the water outlet thermostat housing is all still stock car aplication stuff, this will be sitting at the lower end due to being reversed, will that be an issue? As the filler cap on the heat exchanger will be higher thst thst i would have thaught bleeding air out wouldnt be too difficult.

Any reason why that wouldnt work?
coody
Off Axis 5
Flightcraft Owner