Old Imboard Rebuild

Postby amidge » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:27 pm

I have just had the floors and the Transom in my old FG inboard replaced and getting ready to rebuild the rest. I am about to bore the prop shaft hole and have a couple of questions for the experienced:
With a 1" prop shaft i wonder what size hole to bore leaving room for fibreglass repair?
Also should I use an auger bit or a Forster bit for the bore?
Any other ideas or traps I may find (silly question)
Thanks
amidge
Surface 180

Re: Old Imboard Rebuild

Postby mattygray » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:02 pm

Gday amidge,

I've been down this track. You might as well just grab your angle grinder and cut a rectangular slot a foot long and 2 inches wide roughly in the area where the prop shaft will go through. You will need to have your engine installed and your skeg mounted. Your fiberglasser needs to have or needs to make the tube that goes around the prop shaft as it passes through the hull. It will need to be roughly the same outer diameter as your log gland and well clear of your prop shaft inside it. Your fiberglasser will slide the tube over the prop shaft then bolt everything up. Then he'll glass the tube through the hull so it doesn't touch the prop shaft. After all that he'll cut the bottom flush and fill and grind it all back sweet again. He'll need to do half of the work with the boat upside down as well. About 15 years ago it cost me $800.

Big job you've taken on mate. Good luck.

Matt
Damn Straight!
mattygray
Mastercraft Owner

Re: Old Imboard Rebuild

Postby amidge » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am realising that this is big job but the boat has centimental value to our kids so nothing is too much trouble. Thanks again for your interest. Amidge
amidge
Surface 180

• Advertisement