Got to have a bad one now and then

Postby Feetfirst » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:11 pm

So, after buying a new house, moving, getting kids sorted etc we finally booked in yesterday to get the boat out of the shed and have some fun. Both batteries flat cause I forgot to plug the charger in(damn it, totally my fault). Got that sorted, Boats on the water and instantly overheats, at this time I'm looking at the gods to see which ones laughing at me. Got home, pulled the raw water pump off and find all the vanes scattered within the pump (thankfully it didn't happen at footing speed as I think the engine would have cooked as the vanes completely blocked the outlet). So now I have 2 questions, 1:- does anyone know the part number for a mercruiser 350 330hp black scorpion raw water impeller. and 2:- Where will the bits of vane be that I didn't get out of the water pump? (about 1/2 are missing). I'm thinking the transmission cooler??
Feetfirst
Tantrum
Skicraft Owner

Re: Got to have a bad one now and then

Postby 82Juddcraft » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Feetfirst wrote:So, after buying a new house, moving, getting kids sorted etc we finally booked in yesterday to get the boat out of the shed and have some fun. Both batteries flat cause I forgot to plug the charger in(damn it, totally my fault). Got that sorted, Boats on the water and instantly overheats, at this time I'm looking at the gods to see which ones laughing at me. Got home, pulled the raw water pump off and find all the vanes scattered within the pump (thankfully it didn't happen at footing speed as I think the engine would have cooked as the vanes completely blocked the outlet). So now I have 2 questions, 1:- does anyone know the part number for a mercruiser 350 330hp black scorpion raw water impeller. and 2:- Where will the bits of vane be that I didn't get out of the water pump? (about 1/2 are missing). I'm thinking the transmission cooler??
Oh no! Thats no good. Should replace it every year. Same with chasing the wasp nests outta the water pickups.

Its a case of pullin hoses and flushing everything I'd reckon.

This websites handy to find stuff.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercruiser-sterndrive-parts/scorpion-350/0w698433-up/sea-water-pump-assembly

These guy have good gear.
http://www.cassellmarine.com.au/c/264963/1/mercruiser-mercury-pumps-impellers.html
82Juddcraft

Postby JBWake » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:43 am

In my experience with Mercruisers the inlet to the gearbox oil cooler acts as a quite effective filter to catch all the broken off impeller bits.

Just pop the hose off the inlet to the cooler. Nice and easy.
Brownie knows boats!
JBWake
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby Feetfirst » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:46 am

Got the new impellor sorted and in. Following JB's advice I looked in the transmission cooler and this is what I found. No impellor blades but it was choked with weed. I had to use compressed air to dislodge it so I don't know how any water was getting through. (maybe why the impellor failed).

IMG_0623 (375x500).jpg
IMG_0624 (375x500).jpg

So we finally got the opportunity to get the boat out again after changing it, decided to give it a run on the driveway first. Started it and it wouldn't suck the water in, water poured out the inlet and the engine very quickly got hot (Dammit) :think: . I thought that there must have been another blockage so I started pulling hoses and flushing. 2 hours later after proving everything was clear I pulled out the water pump again. Everything looked good, very minimal wear etc. So I spoke to the boat dealer up here who I got the "aftermarket" impellor from and he said that there was another boat in town that did the exact same thing with this type of impellor. Old mate had a second hand genuine impellor that I tried and it went perfectly as it should have.

So, if you have a Mercruiser water pump DON'T get a "Sierra, 18-3016-1" impellor as they don't work. The internet etc states they are a direct replacement for the genuine. They look the goods and are made in Italy, they measure up the same with Vernier's but they DO NOT WORK. Oh and BTW, check your transmission cooler for weed. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Feetfirst
Tantrum
Skicraft Owner

Postby solokiter » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:19 pm

goodness gracious me, what a nightmare. keep me on the land please..
solokiter
Wake to Wake

Postby Feetfirst » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:04 pm

solokiter wrote:goodness gracious me, what a nightmare. keep me on the land please..

Just trying to help and inform others from my experiences mate.....
Feetfirst
Tantrum
Skicraft Owner

• Advertisement