Advise on imported boat trailer in QLD

Postby Jl1975 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:34 am

I’m hoping someone on here can provide some advice on registering a US imported boat trailer in QLD.

The specs for the trailer are a dual axle DHM enterprise trailer weighing approx 500kg from the US (I haven’t had it weighed yet). The manufacturers compliance plate lists 5995# as the GVW. The ski boat on the trailer is a Centurion weighing 1.2T.

The modifications done to the trailer so far are all lights changed to AUS standards, a compliant coupling, safety chain and yes the trailer is less than the width limit of 2.5m. The brakes on the trailer are currently hydraulic surge brakes connected to both wheels of the front axle.

So my main question is in regards to the braking system. The ADR specifies that a trailer greater than 2T GTM must have a breakaway fitted and brakes to all wheels (which would require further modifications I would rather avoid if necessary until I can afford it).

Is the GTM based purely on the GVW listed on the manufacturers plate or is something calculated upon inspection?

Looking at sites like boatsales I see quite a few boats in QLD (bigger than or the same as mine) on a tandem trailer that have the same surge brakes fitted. If I have to go down the path of upgrading the braking system then some affordable recommended options would be much appreciated.

I understand the process to register the trailer is as follows;
·         Get a new compliance plate – listing VIN, Date of Manufacture, TARE weight, ATM, Tyre Size/Ply, Recommended Cold Tyre Pressure, Load carrying capacity of axle group
·         Plate stating the trailer is a ‘used imported trailer etc’ – not sure if this is actually required?
·         VIN – original one which is already stamped into the side of the trailer
·         Weighbridge certificate for ATM
·         Safety Certificate
·         HVRAS
(For the above two I was going to use m1safetycertificates who can come to your place and are authorised for the above two inspections)

Appreciate if anyone can provide information on any of the above.

Jl1975
Surface 180

Re: Advise on imported boat trailer in QLD

Postby lewy71 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:14 pm

I just downgraded my DHM rated at 5720lbs (around 2500kg) to 2000Kg to keep original hyd surge brakes it was plenty for my boat.
lewy71
Crow-Mobe

Postby Jl1975 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:13 pm

In regards to the VIN, does anyone know if the original has to be used or a new one can be allocated?

The NEDVIS report says they have no record of it after it was imported (3years ago) and the original VIN is stamped into the chassis rail.
Jl1975
Surface 180

Postby lewy71 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 pm

In NSW used the original US VIN without problem. This was the first registration of the trailer in Australia. Has your trailer been registered before in Australia ??
lewy71
Crow-Mobe

Postby Jl1975 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:30 pm

No never registered in Aus before, I just thought that when it was imported the VIN was supposed to be put into the NEVDIS database, when I got a report from PPSR it said NEVDIS had no record of it.
I’ve heard that when you go to roads etc they search for the VIN and if it isn’t in NEVDIS it becomes a real headache, it might not be as much of an issue though as I think though. Just wondered from other people’s experiences.
Jl1975
Surface 180

Postby mof » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:44 pm

The correct process is for DOT in Canberra to provide permission for the trailer to be imported before it leaves US, and that process includes accepting the VIN or issuing a new one. This seems to have been overlooked. In NSW you can get it certified as H-MADE i.e. home made, and have a new VIN issued. Is this possible in QLD? May be worth looking in to.
mof
Slurpee

Postby Mr_Expression » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:40 am

I have built trailers and done that, just need to have a weigh bridge cert and a safety certificate, and take the trailer to the transport department so they can view and measure to confirm it complies, might seem like a bit of work but be paitient I've found the staff are usually very helpful, If you find one that's not go back and see someone else, If it's all above board you won't have too many problems just make sure the trailer complies, you may have to get a vin first then a safety cert but they will issue you a builders plate and a vin, if you already have a vin then a safety cert and viewing maybe all that's required sometimes it depends how helpful the person your dealing with is,
Mr_Expression
Raley

Postby Fricken Chicken » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:28 am

I imported a trailer with an ATM of 2114kg. You can not lower the trailer ATM.
Break away is calculated on the weight transferred to the ground once the trailer is hitched on to the tow vehicle.
Usually the weight transferred to the vehicle is between 10% and 15%.
The trailer and the boat weighed around 1600kgs. 10% of 1600 = 160kg. 2114 - 160 is under 2000kg. No breakaway needed.
The only issue is to find a hitch which complies to the ATM.
McHitch make a hitch rated at 3500kg. Most 4WD hitches are rated way above 2000kg.

Everyone I spoke to including inspectors believe the brakes are rated at 2000kg. They are wrong. ADR says in plain english its rated from the GTM minus the weight transferred to the vehicle.

Good luck
Fricken Chicken
Surface 180

• Advertisement