weekend temporary pontoon

Postby stlucian » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:52 pm

hey everyone.
I was at moogerah over easter and saw a temporary pontoon that had 2 malibus attached to it. Got me thinking how hard and would be to make one. Has to be easy and quick to pull apart and build at the dam. I saw the other post about the pontoonz but not looking for that price. I was thinking capped 300mm pvc lengths (maybe 3 ) as the flotation. Does anyone think this will be strong enough. It wont take a lot of weight , just a boat attached to the side and 1 person on at a time. Thoughts and advice please
stlucian
Wake to Wake
Moomba Owner

Re: weekend temporary pontoon

Postby will » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:32 pm

At the very least you'll have a lot of fun designing something! 30mm PVC works very well for pontoons. I know several cable parks that use them under the launch dock and obstacles. Google will certainly be your friend here, but I'd love to see what you come up with. I'm tossing around the idea of building one myselt or making something a little more permanent.
Enjoy the ride. Any time on the water is good time!
will

Postby pjdave » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:43 pm

what about coldroom panel? instead of 300 pvc?
brownie knows goats
pjdave
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby jcooper » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:11 am

I built my own years ago but if these inflatable ones were available back then I would not have bothered - http://inflatablepontoons.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boat Collection 1993 to 2015: Flightcraft Banshee, Hallet Skimaster(x2), Stejcraft Skier(x2), Stejcraft Silhoette, Gilflite Shortline 190, Ramsay Impala, Malibu Response(x2) - Response LX - Response LXi, Sleekline CX22, Mastercraft Prostar 190 & 205
jcooper
Pete Rose
Mastercraft Owner

Postby will » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:52 am

pjdave wrote:what about coldroom panel? instead of 300 pvc?

It's great stuff but if it's going to be portable the edges can be an issue - and it can get a bit jagged. It also gets waterlogged when used for long periods.
will

Postby stlucian » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:37 pm

The portability will be my big issue!! Cold room panels out because of that. I am actually seriously considering the inflatable pontoon. Although at 2800 its a massive commitment
stlucian
Wake to Wake
Moomba Owner

Postby pjdave » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Cold room panel takes years to get water logged and thats if it were left in the water permanently we used to use it for our X games dock and to float the sliders and ramps. A 6m long by 1200 wide x 150 thick piece could float 2 tonne.
My idea was to build a trailer out of panel with bumpers etc, then back it into the lake (obviously taking care of the wheel bearings) but it wouldnt need to go far as it would be stored at the lake.

The latest idea is to build a complete pontoon boat, with generator for a fridge, BBQ and slide etc When there is a large crew all the kids and family could hang out on that, swim etc then boats could be moored up to the sides.

Did you get a photo of the set up you saw at moogerah?
brownie knows goats
pjdave
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby stlucian » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:29 pm

nah I didn't get a pic. Kept on thinking I should but forgot lol. I would have to make it fit in my boat. The flotation would be fine but the decking would be harder. If it was permanent I could build an awesome one. love the idea with a bbq and everything on it!!!
stlucian
Wake to Wake
Moomba Owner

Postby jcooper » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:10 am

Here's one I built which worked well at the caravan park with only a short commute to the water from the cabin, I tried cool room panels but they were heavy and didn't suit my needs so used polystyrene and aluminium sheets and after building and selling three prototypes ended up with the one shown in the water below and making a profit. :dance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boat Collection 1993 to 2015: Flightcraft Banshee, Hallet Skimaster(x2), Stejcraft Skier(x2), Stejcraft Silhoette, Gilflite Shortline 190, Ramsay Impala, Malibu Response(x2) - Response LX - Response LXi, Sleekline CX22, Mastercraft Prostar 190 & 205
jcooper
Pete Rose
Mastercraft Owner

Postby will » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Oh that's awesome! The fact it can be towed as a trailer is a brilliant idea.
will

Postby feral » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:06 pm

there was a mob here is aus making portable docks - they were around $3500 and folded in two - rooftop size - i think they went bung.

the absolute simplest is coolroom panel - wrap it in plastic grass to allow for edges, even rubber if you want - myn lasted for 5 years in the water all the time (not waterlogged but whack some old house paint on sides if excited)

it is now used after a very small tidyup by mates down stream as i built a pontoonz

if you have somewhere to store it a lightweight draw bar and some sack truck wheels would be good - out of the water it would last for ever.
"Snappers Paradise" - Swan Reach, SA
Matrix Expression MVS "Hakuna Matata 2"

www.facebook.com/SnappersWakeCrew?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

[i]sometimes you race as hard as you can but just can't get away from the Snapperheads[/i]
feral
Toe 720

Postby will » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:13 am

feral wrote:there was a mob here is aus making portable docks - they were around $3500 and folded in two - rooftop size - i think they went bung.

the absolute simplest is coolroom panel - wrap it in plastic grass to allow for edges, even rubber if you want - myn lasted for 5 years in the water all the time (not waterlogged but whack some old house paint on sides if excited)

it is now used after a very small tidyup by mates down stream as i built a pontoonz

if you have somewhere to store it a lightweight draw bar and some sack truck wheels would be good - out of the water it would last for ever.

That sounds really good! Do you have any pics?
will

Postby robbo5252 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Another option is one of these
http://skadr.com.au
Neighbour has one and it works really well. He had issues early with a leak but a load of silicone later and has been fine since.
Cheers
Robbo
robbo5252
Surface 180

• Advertisement