Tow speeds

Postby ell0078 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:40 am

Hi Guys,

This has happened a few times now so I though i would put it out there to get your thoughts. I live in QLD and head out to Moogerah and Maroon Dam mostly. The roads that I mainly use are single carriage way 100k per hour with little to none over taking lanes. Im towing at about 80 - 90k per hour on these roads and when cars have overtaken me the odd car has been honking the horn and acting pissed off. I haven't had a great deal of experiance towing anything as big and as heavy as my current boat but going much faster would not feel that safe. yesterday I literally pulled over to check if everything was ok on the boat and the trailer and it was all fine.

Is this just a odd impatient driver our am I missing something?
ell0078
Surface 180

Re: Tow speeds

Postby Dickj83 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:29 am

Just the odd impatient driver unfortunately. Some people have a sense of entitlement to the road and there is not a lot you can do about it.
The best bet is to keep an eye on your mirrors and if you see someone behind you, pull over to let them past if you have a chance.
It's annoying and slows your trip but it keeps everyone happy and stops people from tailgating you and possibly running into your transom.
Dickj83
Tantrum

Postby Simba » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:13 pm

I reckon 80 is slow in a 100 even when towing... 90 is ok
Member 7769
Simba

Postby jakeyhamer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:57 pm

You're not the only one, I tow a heavy boat, 3 tonne + and can't do the speed limit every where nor would it be safe to do so. I just make sure that when there is a safe overtaking spot I put my indicator on and slow down a little, most people get what i'm doing and overtake.

I also get the other end of the spectrum when towing on a dual carriage way and can sit on 110 quite easily on flat sections but may need a run up on big hills and people are right lane hogs and don't move over. Most drivers have never towed anything and don't have any etiquette for others. It goes both ways I guess
jakeyhamer
Raley

• Advertisement