Postby spruiker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:26 pm

[quote="skiddz"]
hahah yea i know it wasnt the greatest kiteboarding video out, but i just wanted to show you that the newer doonas can unhook.

Anyway, a good dangle is always fun hahahaha[/quote]

The doonas seem to have come a long way in their tech, the one in the clip looked to be more of a c shape than the older style pillow shaped ones, seems funny that they have added to the length of the wing tips when the c style are getting shorter which have evolved into the bows. do you (skiddz) kite in darwin? if so, what about the crocs?
I never did change my dirty pee pants!!!!!!!
spruiker
Blind 180

Postby skiddz » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:08 pm

yea man, Darwins wind isnt that bad. Nah don't have to worry about the crocs, the box jellies get them all haha. But seriously, Ive lived in Darwin all my life (16 years) and ive seen 2 crocs in the ocean. The box jellies are the only dangerous thing in the water, and stinger suits take care of them.

Yea the new actual kiteboarding doonas, such as the PL Venom II, have a really distinct C-Shape, and I'm really interested in demoing some, but no one up here has one. ah well
skiddz
Blind 180

Postby spruiker » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 pm

only seen 2 crocs? I've never been there, the impression ya get from the media is that there's as many crocs as roos :) . The box jellys & iricanji( guessing at the spelling) sound like hectic creatures, I'm glad we've only got blue bottles around here( byron area, nsw), although the guys that kite lennox have seen a few big sharks lately.

what gear do you kite? it's mainly slingshot around here, there's one or 2 guys that fly peter lynn venoms, I haven't seen a venom2 on the beach yet, was surprised at how far they have progressed towards the inflatables in performance abillity.
spruiker
Blind 180

Postby skiddz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:38 pm

yea the media tends to blow most things out of proportion haha. But honestly, everyone goes swimming, wake boarding, kite boarding in the ocean in the dry season, and there's no crocs, sharks or jellies of any kind. Its awesome

As for the gear up here, ill list a few:
me - 12m Boxer 07 as my small kite, 16m Torch 06 as my big kite
other people:
16m 08 rebel (x2)
14m Helix
couple of 16m Rebel 07
14m Vegas 07
16m LF Assault II
couple of Cabrinha's, but not sure what models

Mind you, I only started kiting about half way through this year, so I am yet to experience out monsoonal season, and judging by what people have been saying, Im definately going to be overpowered on my small kite. damn haha
skiddz
Blind 180

Postby Aaron_Weir » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:22 am

could someone tell me how to jump cause i just learned how to turn around and go and stuff and that i have gotten better i would like to start jumping i can do like surface 180's and ollies
Aaron_Weir
Fashion Air

Postby skiddz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:25 am

do you have a bow or C kite?
skiddz
Blind 180

Postby Aaron_Weir » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:14 pm

Cabrinha bow kite
Aaron_Weir
Fashion Air

Postby skiddz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:58 pm

ill do my best to explain it, and ill explain it as if your riding regular, ie the kite is on the left hand side of the window

Speed: needs to be a bit faster than cruising speed, but not so fast that you cant edge properly

Keep the kite at around 10 o'clock, then you want to steer the kite back with your back hand to 12 o'clock. DO NOT GO PAST 12!!! AS you steer the kite back, depower the kite a bit by pushing the bar away, and start to edge harder.
As you feel lift from the kite, pull the power on, and carve the board upwind, releasing your edge as you get pulled up. when your in the air, steer the kite, ensuring that the kite does not go past 12, or else you will leave the kite upwind of you and disaster will ensue (the kite will probably fall out of the sky when you land)

When your getting closer to the water, pull with your front hand to steer the kite back through the power zone, and soften your landing, and keep your speed

Some bad things:
If your rotating in the air - try carving harder upwind as you leave the water, and make sure the kite doesnt go past 12!

If your landing with not enough speed - be more agressive with your front hand when your landing

If you dont get much height - edge harder

Hope it helps - and remember, you will have many stacks before you get it right lol
skiddz
Blind 180

Postby spruiker » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:52 pm

that's a pretty indepth explanation, the basic rule is, the faster the speed you have & the quicker you send it, the bigger the air. start off small & build up, it's all timing, make sure you bring the kite back to the direction you are heading or it'll luff & fall out tha sky. I don't send the kite very often, I ride in the surf & jumping off waves is similar to the wake. If you keep the kite at about 45 degrees you can edge away & scoop it out, it feels just like cable.
spruiker
Blind 180

Postby skiddz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:39 pm

oh yea, something to add:
If you want to go higher, send the kite from lower down in the window. And as spruiker said, its all about timing you edge and release with the kite movement. Alot of the times when i was learning how to jump properly, i would send the kite more agressively, and end up piloting the kite back past 12, which ends up with you leaving the kite behind. Remeber to keep the kite at 12, not before. :P
skiddz
Blind 180

Postby Aaron_Weir » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:32 pm

yer thanks and what brands does people ride i have a cabrinha board ,kite, lines and handle and a liquid force harness and a ml boardbag
Aaron_Weir
Fashion Air

Postby Wello_kiter_Elizabeth » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:49 pm

Aaron_Weir wrote:yer thanks and what brands does people ride i have a cabrinha board ,kite, lines and handle and a liquid force harness and a ml boardbag

LF Small Chicks Waist Harness
LF 9m Session
LF 10m Havoc
LF 12m Havoc
LF 128 Ele or the ole Cab 138 Icon

Whatever LF Gear I want to ride really. I'm sponsored so I can use anything :lol:
Wello_kiter_Elizabeth

Postby skiddz » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:32 pm

Wello_kiter_Elizabeth wrote:Whatever LF Gear I want to ride really. I'm sponsored so I can use anything :lol:

Rekon you could scab some LF luxury pads and straps for me :lol:.

I ride Naish boxer 07 12m, and a Naish Torch 06 16m. Saving up for 09 kites for when I move down to Brisvegas :D
skiddz
Blind 180

Postby Aaron_Weir » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:29 pm

where abouts are all u kiters from like sate u guys come from
Aaron_Weir
Fashion Air

Postby Wello_kiter_Elizabeth » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:06 pm

Aaron_Weir wrote:where abouts are all u kiters from like sate u guys come from

Queensland here. Kite 4160- Wello
Wello_kiter_Elizabeth

Postby spruiker » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm from woodburn, it's been on the news lately cause of the flood, to answer an earlier question, I fly slingshot fuel 06 9m , 05 19m, naish x2 02 12m. still riding a pickle fork board (lf) that I cut down & reshaped to a 134 sqare tail shape. I ride lf ultra boots, foot straps are for pussies. I've ridden my belmont & substance but the rocker is not ideal for the kite.
spruiker
Blind 180

Postby Aaron_Weir » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:04 pm

could u guys who ride with boots tell me what they are like to u just use wakeboard boots on a kiteboard how do u get ur feet in at the start and when u come to stop wont it be a bit hard and boots wont u drown maybe
Aaron_Weir
Fashion Air

Postby Wello_kiter_Elizabeth » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:09 pm

spruiker wrote: I ride lf ultra boots, foot straps are for pussies. I've ridden my belmont & substance but the rocker is not ideal for the kite.

u7r just a wakestyle kiter thats y u wear bindings. simple.

trust me not many who can ride bindings and land everything perfectly.

but sure sure =]
Wello_kiter_Elizabeth

Postby skiddz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:08 pm

footstaps here. Too poor to afford boots :( , but the only times I've had my feet come out were due to bad technique. Then just body drag 8)
skiddz
Blind 180

Postby spruiker » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:26 pm

I would've thought someone that spends so much time on a wake forum that kites would be a wake orientated kiter, elizabeth you must be a sick kiter to back up the smack you talk, I got into kiting from seeing it on wake vids, the dudes I look up to are guys like dre, lou wainman, moe, mauriccio. These dudes were riding wakestyle b4 it was the in thing to do. I tried straps a couple of times but prefer the hold boots offer. I used to ride at lennox a bit & the guys riding straps spent more time walking up the beach than I did. more riders are using boots now with sliders poppin up everywhere. To me the dangle side of riding is as appealling as rollerblading in short shorts. if ya not into board off tricks ya may as well have the board stuck to ya feet.

aaron, the easiest way to get boots on is to sit at the waters edge, if the wind is clean the kite will sit easy enuff to get the board on. Gusty wind makes this harder, I learned in the river at ballina which is gusty as and made it harder to learn. once I rode clean wind it made the boots thing a breeze. I ride boots whenever I'm not on a surfboard or sk8, even in decent size surf, things get tricky when ya crash in surf with boots on but the board feels more like wakeboarding than straps.

bottom line, riding boots feels more like wakeboardin, if ya don't care about it feeling like wake then straps are fine. the only arguements I've heard "for" straps is doin board offs & riders being worried they'll be held under in the waves. I've been ridin boots since I started in 02 & have had my share of decent crashes but they're nothin compared to a decent crash behind the boat.
spruiker
Blind 180

PreviousNext

• Advertisement