Slalom comp

Postby newb » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what the format is for a slalom comp?? As in do you start with a full length rope ? And at what speed do you shorten it etc??

I looked at the QLD waterski site and it looks like everyone ski's 15 foot off straight up??

I can go through the course on a full length line at 34mph fairly easily. I haven't shortened the rope yet. I'll probably shorten it and try going through the course at 30 mph ... is that the way it happens in a comp? Adn how many attempts do you get?

Thanks
newb
OHH

Postby Angela » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:17 pm

I'm definitely far from an expert, so hopefully someone knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong.

You keep a full length rope until 36mph, then once you complete the course at that speed you start to go into shortenings at 36mph.

it's up to you at what speed/shortening you start. but if you start at your pb you risk not making it and not getting any points on the board, and if you start too easy then you'll be too buggered to do well once you get to the harder runs!

i guess it will depend on what division you're competing in as to what the other competitors are starting at.

I think you get points for each buoy (?!) and once you fall it's all over. no 2nd chance.

i hope that wasn't complete rubbish! sorry if it was
Angela
KGB

Postby UK_Exile » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:15 am

Assuming you're an adult you start at your comfortable reliable opening pass speed at 18.25m (15' off). Then speed increases 3kph per pass until reach 55 (or 58kph) depending on age. Then rope gets shortened each subsequent successful pass unitl fall or miss a bouy. Only juniors ski long line.
Sounds like your ok at 55kph 15' off so maybe that's your opening pass, so assuming you're in 20's or 30's age your next pass will be 58kph @ 15' off, and 22' off, then 28' off, etc
UK_Exile

Postby newb » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:25 am

I never knew you had to start at 18.25M... that makes it a whole lot harder... I'll have to give it a go next time I'm out. At the moment I can get through about 4 or 5 bouys at 36mph (whateva that is in KPH) on the full length line.

I'll give it a whirl and then think about entering in a comp.
newb
OHH

Postby UK_Exile » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:27 am

No, you don't have to start at 18.25m (15' off). If you're good enough your opening pass could be max age speed (55 or 58kph) at shorter length such as 22' or 28' off
UK_Exile

Postby UK_Exile » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:34 am

Just checked back at your original post and I suggest you check your rope. It could be yoiur already skiing at 15' off / 18.25m without realising it as a heck of the lot of multi section ropes are sold without the extension to the old full length of 75' 5.5" which is 23m.

Also 18.25m for most skiers is easier than full 23m as long line feels very spongy and slow.

Note all dimensions for slalom are officially metric, world wide. Just small tweaks. Speed increments are 3kph, approx smae as the old 2mph steps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UK_Exile

Postby UK_Exile » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:36 am

more info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UK_Exile

Postby newb » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks for the info mate..

Nah I'm pretty sure I'm on the full length... but thats ok I'll get into some training and hopefully nail a 34mph at 15ft off pass sometime over summer. As for 36mph I think that might take some time...make that a lot of time.
newb
OHH

Postby UK_Exile » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:31 am

Of course yo don't have to start at max speed, so why notenter one now rather than continued training.
It's ok to run say 46kph @ 15' off as your opening pass, then work your way through 49, 52 onto 55 & 58 then shortenings if you can.
Also generally there's a novice section and they give you a 'mulligan'. It's allows you to fall or miss a bouy and have another try :D
UK_Exile

Postby newb » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:10 pm

Yeah I might still give it a crack... problem is if I start at that low speed I'll sink... anyway I'll have a go this week and report back how I went on the shorter rope...
newb
OHH

Postby newb » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:35 pm

Yeah I might still give it a crack... problem is if I start at that low speed I'll sink... anyway I'll have a go this week and report back how I went on the shorter rope...
newb
OHH

Postby UK_Exile » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:29 am

You'll be suprised. At lower towed speed you need to "make your own speed". Pull hard and carve you turns, don't krank them as you'll sink.
UK_Exile

competition

Postby leagueskier » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:48 pm

Sounds like you are ready to try a competition. The gold coast club comps would be the closest for you from brisbane. You can try the slalom course at the clubs site at upper coomera as a guest member, email your details to goldcoastwaterski@gmail.com to arrange it.
leagueskier
Fashion Air

Postby swapper » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:18 am

I have been looking into trying a competition one day soon too. I am pretty sure that they have a novice class, which has my name all over it, but it has the bouys at half the width of the normal bouys, which sounds like a good place to start, and a great way to get into the sport.
swapper
Surface 180

slalom course

Postby leagueskier » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:33 am

Yes the novice section does have a half width slalom course. As most skiers can cut better one way (onside) than the other (offside) you can score more points by going around the full course on your onside and around the half course on your offside. The goldcoast club using league scoring which means novice skiers get 4 passes where the scores from each pass are added together and 24 is the max score (6 bouys X 4).
When you can run the full course on both sides you are then allocated a handicap such as is used in golf so regardless of ability you can win the competition on the day. One thing that is unique in League skiing is that skiers have 1 wildcard each which can be used for a second chance should you not ski as well as you can. The penalty for using your wildcard is that 2 bouys are subtracted from your score.
leagueskier
Fashion Air

Postby jcooper » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread,
but I just thought I would put it out there I am looking at expanding the Doonstock brand this year to incorporate a slalom course and Hotdog fun comp this year and need some help from some slalom enthusiest to make it happen.

PM me if anyone is keen.
Boat Collection 1993 to 2015: Flightcraft Banshee, Hallet Skimaster(x2), Stejcraft Skier(x2), Stejcraft Silhoette, Gilflite Shortline 190, Ramsay Impala, Malibu Response(x2) - Response LX - Response LXi, Sleekline CX22, Mastercraft Prostar 190 & 205
jcooper
Pete Rose
Mastercraft Owner

Postby Swerver1 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:45 pm

[quote="newb"]Yeah I might still give it a crack... problem is if I start at that low speed I'll sink... anyway I'll have a go this week and report back how I went on the shorter rope...[/quote]

Dont worry you wont sink! Lucky Lowe from the USA more noted for his jump crashes, used to ski the course at 13mph! the only way you can do that is using the correct body position or you would fold in half. He would do that at the beginning of the season to get fit!! He had the best upper body strength I have ever seen! Saw him do 9 one arm pull ups on each arm at Moomba one year!
Swerver1

Postby MxDan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:05 pm

jcooper wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread,
but I just thought I would put it out there I am looking at expanding the Doonstock brand this year to incorporate a slalom course and Hotdog fun comp this year and need some help from some slalom enthusiest to make it happen.

PM me if anyone is keen.

Im Keen to try a slalom Course , and the Hotdog comp sounds fun , Ill have to practice up i didnt get to spend alot of time on the water last summer due to injury and other commitments... I missed out last year and would love to be there for this year ....
MxDan

Postby newb » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:33 am

This summer I'm going to give it a go. May as well. The gold coast club sounds like they use a good system with the handicap etc.

Since my first post here I managed to get through at 34mph at 18.25m, fairly consistently. How many runs do you get? I just don't like the idea of stuffing up your first run and then thats it...

I would think to encourage newb's like me they could think about having a section that gives you 3 passes no matter what, then they can grade you from there?
newb
OHH

Postby UK_Exile » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:19 am

Generally novices are allowed one fall or missed bouy (often called a mulligan) and then one more attempt i.e. 2 chances to round all 6 bouys in one run down the course.
However most clubs have rule once you've run 6 bouys in a competition you're no longer novice, so don't expect to get second chances much !
There are occasionaly muligan tournaments where everyone is allowed a second chance
UK_Exile

• Advertisement