Learning To Barefoot

Postby DNO109 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I am really interested in learning to bare foot have seen people doin it and have come to the conclusion stepping off a kneeboard is the way to start. Just wondering if anyone has any handy hints or tips?

Thanks
DNO109
Wake to Wake
Nautique Owner

Postby imx » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Best advice - get a training bar and get some lessons from a pro. You really need someone experienced to help avoid some nasty hits (face plants causing black eyes, bruised and crushed vertebrae, handles smashing ankles etc) that set you back mentally as well as physically. You can learn on your own, but take it from someone who has been there, it will be WELL worth paying for the right advice. Oh,and when you do crack it, there 'aint nothing like the feeling of glass burning your feet :D
imx
Slurpee

Postby oman1 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:29 am

yeah the stacks wil hurt wen your are learning, but hell it is so worth it whn you can get up and ski along, you are bound to stack wen trying new things like tricks and that, so may aswell find out wat its like.. just suck it up take the kneeboard out and go for it mate.
oman1
Wake to Wake

Postby trowal » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:29 am

Don't wear speedos!
trowal
Raley

Postby DNO109 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:00 pm

:D thanks for the replies
DNO109
Wake to Wake
Nautique Owner

Postby Brentos » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:36 pm

i learnt the hard way myself n its is definately worth it when u get up for that 1st time n theres nothin below u but water n ur glidin across :) n the stacks make for a good laugh for everyone in the boat, thats wat its all about isnt it lol
Brentos
Malibu Owner

Postby oman1 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:05 pm

yeah thats sooo true man, it pays off so much. definatly go the hard way.
oman1
Wake to Wake

Postby vision_129 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:15 pm

i went the hard way, taught myself and went the even harder way by teaching myself do it deep start. took a day to get steady and solid going along on my bum and then another day or two to go along on my feet for 100 or so metres, the feeling you get of accomplishment is amazing, definately try it yourself before grabbing some lessons. i had a fair few crash's but being only 15 id shake make head and go again. just remember to keep your toes up and despite what most say you dont have to be gooing flat knacka (depending how much you weigh i guess) im 55 kg's and foot at about 32mph
vision_129
Off Axis 5

Postby imx » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:45 pm

We used to use a formula of: body weight in pounds, divide by ten and add twenty to reach a rough figure in MPH. eg: 170lbs = 17+20 = 37MPH. Keep your toes up and point your feet so the outside is slightly higher than the inside and turn them so the toes are slightly facing together, this will deflect most of the spray to the sides rather than in front and up your body into your face. When you fall(and you will) it will happen extremely quickly, after a while you learn to react in time to turn your shoulder into the fall and go very stiff. This seems to be the best way to avoid pain.
imx
Slurpee

Postby DNO109 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:42 am

thanks for that. really useful will let you all know how i go with it
DNO109
Wake to Wake
Nautique Owner

Postby cacookie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:27 am

imx wrote:We used to use a formula of: body weight in pounds, divide by ten and add twenty to reach a rough figure in MPH. eg: 170lbs = 17+20 = 37MPH. Keep your toes up and point your feet so the outside is slightly higher than the inside and turn them so the toes are slightly facing together, this will deflect most of the spray to the sides rather than in front and up your body into your face. When you fall(and you will) it will happen extremely quickly, after a while you learn to react in time to turn your shoulder into the fall and go very stiff. This seems to be the best way to avoid pain.

Thats pretty bloody fast for my weight, i'll just stick to skiing. :lol:

cacookie
Raley

Postby imx » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:41 am

Cacookie, you could always try putting on some of that magic stuff that makes parts of your anatomy larger on your feet :lol:
imx
Slurpee

Postby keno » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:59 am

Has anyone tried wearing a pair of volleys or similar footwear while barefooting?
Raider 1800
keno

Postby imx » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Seen sneakers, thongs etc used but never really saw the point. There used to be a 'shoe' that had a wide sole that protruded about 2 or 3cm all around that was for training for new tricks, I think it was called 'Jaski' or something like that.
imx
Slurpee

Postby Spooky » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:12 am

Lane Bowers aka "Dawg" sells a pair of "Dawg Paws" which are like a flat piece of board to strap to your feet for footing. I reckon its all about the way you angle your feet because I never get any pain from the arch of myfeet the day after? :?
Good luck dude! :twisted:
Spooky
Fashion Air
Nautique Owner

Postby ducky » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:16 pm

We used to ski/foot all year round and I tried wearing wet suit booties a few times in winter but I found you don't get that same feel that you get when just bare feet, your feet seem to skate around to much and after a fall they would come off.

I learnt by stepping off a knee board then went to deep water starts.

Then when it came to learning tricks I went to a boom bare for tumble turns and switching from left to right foot out. We used to get the boat up to speed, sit on the side of the boat, grab the bare and jump off the boat onto my feet. Then work my way out to the end were we had a t-bare handle looped to the bare, grab the handle with one hand then let go of the bare and grab the handle with both hands. The handle on the end of the bare gives you a more natural feel rather than just hanging onto the fixed boom.
ducky
Slurpee

Postby gotwake » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:52 pm

It's not wether you win or lose-but if i win or lose
gotwake
Ozmosis 7

Postby einy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:27 pm

ducky wrote:We used to ski/foot all year round and I tried wearing wet suit booties a few times in winter but I found you don't get that same feel that you get when just bare feet, your feet seem to skate around to much and after a fall they would come off.

I learnt by stepping off a knee board then went to deep water starts.

Then when it came to learning tricks I went to a boom bare for tumble turns and switching from left to right foot out. We used to get the boat up to speed, sit on the side of the boat, grab the bare and jump off the boat onto my feet. Then work my way out to the end were we had a t-bare handle looped to the bare, grab the handle with one hand then let go of the bare and grab the handle with both hands. The handle on the end of the bare gives you a more natural feel rather than just hanging onto the fixed boom.

With all those 'bares' does that mean you are doing it naked; least with the right people aboard you would have a good bar to hang on to
einy
Front Flip

Postby ducky » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:05 pm

:lol: :lol: look out , the spelling police are out and about. :P
It's not the bares but the bears you have to worry about :wink:
ducky
Slurpee

Postby MxDan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:26 pm

keno wrote:Has anyone tried wearing a pair of volleys or similar footwear while barefooting?

when i was a kid our tinny's wernt fast enough to foot behind so we wore the old surfer sam thongs (they were the wide thongs you could by) and they worked great ... Ive seen the kids down the road using Volleys with nylon cutting boards cut to the shoe size glued the the bottom... I also made my Daughter a pair of timber feet skis about 2 cm bigger than her feet , now she can Barefoot behind her 15 hp tinny now
MxDan

Next

• Advertisement