Postby duster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:05 pm

How bout every time you go for a ski take your back foot out and stick it on the water. Experiment with positioning and stance, try just outside the wake with your bare foot closest the wake. Pretty soon you will be lifting the front of the ski up. If you can do it on one foot two will be easy. Then use an old ski with a loose/or no binding then just step off. Remember, like the others' have said "look down go down"
User avatar
duster
Fashion Air
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:00 am
Location: georges river
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby DNO109 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:41 pm

thanks guys had a couple of attempts between xmas and new year. will give the tube idea a go sounds heaps easier. If all else fails i go to a coaching session on the river or something.
DNO109
Wake to Wake
Nautique Owner
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby dee_ski » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Did you try the learner bar idea? It shouldnt be that hard, the worst part is getting the kneeboard stable. I got 6 kids under 12 barefooting off the bar last week, they had a blast and a couple headaches.
Let us know what is going wrong, I am sure everyone here has tried different ways so whatever you feel comfortable doing, someone will help.
dee_ski
Tantrum
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:00 am
Location: australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby DNO109 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:02 pm

havent got a learner bar had a couple of runs ine afternoon with different boat, driver, and knee board and was feeling really good just taking my time and getting used to it. Then changed to our boat kneeboard and my mate driving and couldnt get the kneeboard stable.

Mind you havent been out since so i will be giving it another go am determined to get it.
DNO109
Wake to Wake
Nautique Owner
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby SLO929 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:50 am

I am in the process of learning too. Im starting off deep water, and can get out of the water, but i cant get up to speed without stackin it. Whats the best tips when u r bouncing along on your arse behind the boat??

I have heard that once im up to speed, i can roll forward slightly and that will pull me up
SLO929
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:00 pm
Location: \//\//oodside
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby imx » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:10 pm

SLO929 wrote:I am in the process of learning too. Im starting off deep water, and can get out of the water, but i cant get up to speed without stackin it. Whats the best tips when u r bouncing along on your arse behind the boat??

I have heard that once im up to speed, i can roll forward slightly and that will pull me up


Is your driver backing off slightly after you come out until you get over the 'power humps' from the boat? The other thing may be your rope length, make sure you are not in a bad area of the wake. Try not to go too far before you stand.
imx
Slurpee
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:00 am
Location: perth
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Postby offtharailz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:22 pm

after reading this and watching couple of youtube videos i had a crack at it in torrumbarry on monday. tried it off the kneeboard good fun i say. first couple of goes think i was not going fast enough and just sunk, but on the third crack managed to get off the kneeboard an did it for bout 10 metres, only problem was i had my eyes shut the whole time cause of the spray. will be doing it again for sure.
http://fluroelectrics.com.au/locations/electrician-melbourne/
http://fluroelectrics.com.au/locations/electrician-south-morang/
User avatar
offtharailz
720
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:00 am
Location: south morang vic
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby DNO109 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Fixed it changed knee boards and got up for a bit but like it has been said
i had my eyes shut as well and also dont think i had my arms all the way out so i was still a little low in the water.

It is a great feeling cant wait to get back out and keep improving. :D
DNO109
Wake to Wake
Nautique Owner
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby imx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:52 pm

DNO109 wrote:Fixed it changed knee boards and got up for a bit but like it has been said
i had my eyes shut as well and also dont think i had my arms all the way out so i was still a little low in the water.

It is a great feeling cant wait to get back out and keep improving. :D


You will ALWAYS have that little urge inside you now, no matter how long you are off the water :D
imx
Slurpee
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:00 am
Location: perth
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Postby SLO929 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:41 pm

imx wrote:
SLO929 wrote:I am in the process of learning too. Im starting off deep water, and can get out of the water, but i cant get up to speed without stackin it. Whats the best tips when u r bouncing along on your arse behind the boat??

I have heard that once im up to speed, i can roll forward slightly and that will pull me up


Is your driver backing off slightly after you come out until you get over the 'power humps' from the boat? The other thing may be your rope length, make sure you are not in a bad area of the wake. Try not to go too far before you stand.


Rope length is about 60-65 foot, will have a crack with my driver backing off slightly

Cheers
SLO929
Wake to Wake
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:00 pm
Location: \//\//oodside
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby ozzinick » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:40 pm

SLO929 wrote:
imx wrote:
SLO929 wrote:I am in the process of learning too. Im starting off deep water, and can get out of the water, but i cant get up to speed without stackin it. Whats the best tips when u r bouncing along on your arse behind the boat??

I have heard that once im up to speed, i can roll forward slightly and that will pull me up


Is your driver backing off slightly after you come out until you get over the 'power humps' from the boat? The other thing may be your rope length, make sure you are not in a bad area of the wake. Try not to go too far before you stand.


Rope length is about 60-65 foot, will have a crack with my driver backing off slightly

Cheers
When u hit the power humps sit up straight the best u can. The other option is to get the boat to take of from and angle (so you pop out of the water near the wake. so you miss the power humps) 60-65 foot...way to short, you are riding hard water at the highest point of the wake. I use 90 foot rope, the water is heaps better!!! oh yeah... and don't go straight behind the boat, foot in curve on the outside of the wake...It helps you keep in the same spot behind the boat. ps, if you can handle going a bit fast, get the driver to get into it a bit. I used to foot at 35mph, a good footer told me to go quicker so I upped it to 43-44mph. OMG wot a difference... It is so much easlier told hold you position and do tumble turns. (ps: I am 75kg's)
User avatar
ozzinick
Blind 180
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:00 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 9 times

Postby imx » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:41 am

90ft is what I use. If your driver is not taking off too fast, the power humps are not an issue. It does not require much grunt to get out of the water and over the humps. As for speed, the old formula is: find your weight in pounds, eg- 100kg=220lbs, divide it by 10 and add 20. For example, if you weigh 80kgs, that is 176lbs, divide by 10= 17.6 + 20= 38mph. This figure will vary slightly depending on condition of water and foot size but it is usually very close. If the water is very good, you should have no problems going 5 or 6mph faster when you have had a bit of time on your feet and can fall correctly. Once you are standing, it should be comfortable enough to go as far as you like if you are on glass. If you are straining a bit you are probably not quite upright enough.
imx
Slurpee
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:00 am
Location: perth
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Postby DaneNQ » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:39 am

I highly recommend Lane "Dawg" Bowers Barefoot Waterskiing Instructional Video (DVD). I had been 'footing for over fifteen years when I bought it to help me get into some more advanced stuff. The beginners instruction, particularly on stance, changed the way I barefoot and made it heaps easier and more enjoyable for me. It'd be a great way to learn it "right" the first time.
DaneNQ
Tantrum
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Townsville
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby DNO109 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Well after many attempts I am finally and very slowly getting
the hang of it! I am staying up for a short time just need to work on
the basics like staying crouched arms straight.

Even tho I'm only up that little bit it is a huge rush can't wait to be able to
go longer!
DNO109
Wake to Wake
Nautique Owner
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby imx » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:18 pm

DNO109 wrote:Well after many attempts I am finally and very slowly getting
the hang of it! I am staying up for a short time just need to work on
the basics like staying crouched arms straight.

Even tho I'm only up that little bit it is a huge rush can't wait to be able to
go longer!


You will never look at glassed off water the same way again 8)
imx
Slurpee
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:00 am
Location: perth
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Postby DNO109 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:54 am

Ain't that the truth unless we are trying to foot on the glass
it's a waste :D
DNO109
Wake to Wake
Nautique Owner
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby Alwaysawake » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey mate,

I have been following this thread and reading it.

It has given me some pointers for sure.

Here are some vids of me having a go. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otQXI4nj4AY


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25cRU0Vo3uI


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqqv4ioXztQ

Cheers

Jeremy
User avatar
Alwaysawake
720
Matrix Owner
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:00 am
Location: Inland Sunshine Coast Rides: Somerset sum Perserverance
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Postby imx » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:47 pm

Alwaysawake wrote:Hey mate,

I have been following this thread and reading it.

It has given me some pointers for sure.

Here are some vids of me having a go. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otQXI4nj4AY


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25cRU0Vo3uI


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqqv4ioXztQ

Cheers

Jeremy


Not bad there, looks like you could do with a touch more speed and don't ride so much on your heels (possibly from speed), that creates a lot of drag and tires you out.
imx
Slurpee
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:00 am
Location: perth
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Postby nevergrew » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:09 pm

Found some recent pics of me footing. I do cheat though by wearing shoes :D

That's why I call it footing and not Barefooting :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
nevergrew
Ozmosis 7
Nautique Owner
 
Posts: 4210
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Central Coast
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Postby cacookie » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:12 pm

Hey Nevergrew, how do you go wearing shorts.
User avatar
cacookie
Raley
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: Orange
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time

PreviousNext


  • Advertisement

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests