Trick Ski's

Postby dee_ski » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi all,
I just wanted to let fellow skiers know how excited I was to try something new, I know most of us see our childrens first smile when they do something they have been working at and as a parent, it makes you feel fantastic. This time it was my kids seeing me smile.
Well I decided to buy a trick ski, my daughter has had one for quite a while now and she always looked like she was having fun on it so being stupid at 44 I thought what the hell!
All my boys are left foot forward and the girls are opposite so I knew it wouldn't go to waste if I was too useless to ride it.
I had talked to quite a few pro skiers about them amongst others and they said they were too hard to ride so I was quite nervous. Well my 16 year old said he was going first and I couldn't believe it when he got up first go, it made me smile. He then starts doing little jumps, I was amazed. So he falls off after a fair while and then its my turn. Well now the pressure was on, first try...no go...second try, up I went and it was one of the best things I have ridden.
We are all different in what we like, I have done most things on the water including barefooting and some things you love, some you don't but this trick ski is something I will be riding for years to come.
I couldn't get my 16 year old off it for the rest of the day.
So if you are ever thinking about, don't hesitate. I think one of my hesitations was having to buy one from the US but now that Jobe have them in Australia made it an easier decision.

I just had to share.
dee_ski
Tantrum

Re: Trick Ski's

Postby Intheday » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:10 pm

Slippery little suckers are fun
Intheday
Fashion Air

Postby dee_ski » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Awesome fun.
They are probably better designed now but of course I can't compare.
dee_ski
Tantrum

Postby JBWake » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:36 pm

I did a stack of tricking when I was younger. Did lots of tournaments but also liked skiing round the lake on them as they are good for jumping the wake. Then wakeboards came along so that was a natural progression for me.

One thing I will suggest is getting a good quality trick ski as even for a beginner they are way easier to control.

The good ones are pretty easy to pick as the top slowly tapers down to a very sharp edge which is generally rubber to stop them chipping. The more entry level trick skis have a much more rounded top and a much blunter edge.

The sharper edge allows you to hold a far better edge without sliding out. If you go to a Facebook page Skibay Australia you’ll probably pick up a decent 2nd hand one if you keep your eyes out. Otherwise they are bloody expensive new.

The design really hasn't changed in 20-30 years and they last well so a decent 2nd hand one will serve you well. My 20 year old trick ski is still perfect.
Brownie knows boats!
JBWake
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

• Advertisement