wakeboarding with braces

Postby way1fast1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:55 am

Hi All, so my 14 year old daughter has just got braces and a Cantilever Bite Jumper. An orthodontist has suggested that wakeboarding my be dangerous and cause damage if she hits the water hard. She is only just learning so falls are likely but obviously won't be doing flips :D . I tow her at about 12 mph. They did suggest a mouth guard.

Anyone had any issues or experience with this.
way1fast1
Nautique Owner

Re: wakeboarding with braces

Postby Alastair » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:11 am

personally i have no experience. but i played a lot of rugby with guys who had braces, and rode moto's with the same guys. she will be fine, more chance of copping a stray soccer ball to the face then putting a brace through the lip at 12mph.
Alastair
Tantrum

Postby Wake_mad_bastard » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:50 am

I rode with braces and had no dramas didn't have the cantilever but I can't see it being a big issue at 12mph the impact is never going to be that great even if she catches a front edge only issues I ever had was playing footy which led to lots of bloody mouths and once having piece of wire from the braces imbed itself in my gum after eating a meat pie lol she should be fine. Sounds like the orthodontist has been watching too much TV only seeing the extreme end of the sport :)
Is there a way of working less and riding more without having to resort to selling amphetamines to school kids from the back of a Mr Whippy van.
Wake_mad_bastard
Pete Rose

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:09 pm

Had braces when I was younger and had no issues wakeboarding with them.

Had some pretty big stacks while I had them (trust me, they were big, ahahha) and still no issues at all.

Hope this helps
Rhubarb
Wake to Wake

Postby Skier1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:40 pm

My daughter had them on for a few years and never had any dramas , we never gave it a thought really she just done everything she normally did.
Skier1
Blind 180

Postby way1fast1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:43 am

Thanks for responses, Orthodontist put doubt in my mind but have no doubt she'll be fine.
way1fast1
Nautique Owner

• Advertisement