Ballast upgrade Malibu VLX 07

Postby Dan07VLX » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi

Recently bought an 07 VLX got stock ballast system anyone recommend any where to install ballast upgrade in Sydney/Newcastle? If anyone has had it done what was the damage $$$$$

Cheers
Dan07VLX
Surface 180

Re: Ballast upgrade Malibu VLX 07

Postby wakesetterxti » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:14 pm

try central coast lewis ski boats mate they will help you out ive used them for a lot of stuff
wakesetterxti
Fashion Air
Malibu Owner

Postby Maynee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Do it yourself mate, grab either the 400lb or 750lb fly high bags and stick one in each locker (i used the 400's which still gave me room to chuck vests, ropes etc).
retain the overflow/vent line from the hard tank and plumb the hose from the fill pump into the top of the bag and plumb from the drain (bottom) of the bag back into the hardtank (where you removed the fill hose from).
use the fly high quick release fittings as the bag gravity feeds into the hardtank so it takes a little longer and you will have a bit left in the bags after draining, the quick release fittings enable you to lift the bag out and empty completely (i'm in salt water so always used to flush them out), you can also get a male/male adaptor to join the 2 exposed ends when removing the bag, this adaptor enables you to run stock ballast without any need for plumbing changes if you have a big crew and need the storage space.

I ran this on my 08 VLX and it worked great, i now run the same system on my MXZ but with the 1.1/4" fittings.
i'm still using the bags (which will cost you around $400-$500 a pair for the 400lb), i'm not using the 3/4" anymore so could probably hook you up with all the necessary fittings for a few bucks + postage.
add on a wakesurf shaper and this will also give you a great surf wave.

I have schematic if needed, pretty simple.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maynee
Surface 180
Malibu Owner

Postby Brentos » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:50 am

Maynee wrote:Do it yourself mate, grab either the 400lb or 750lb fly high bags and stick one in each locker (i used the 400's which still gave me room to chuck vests, ropes etc).
retain the overflow/vent line from the hard tank and plumb the hose from the fill pump into the top of the bag and plumb from the drain (bottom) of the bag back into the hardtank (where you removed the fill hose from).
use the fly high quick release fittings as the bag gravity feeds into the hardtank so it takes a little longer and you will have a bit left in the bags after draining, the quick release fittings enable you to lift the bag out and empty completely (i'm in salt water so always used to flush them out), you can also get a male/male adaptor to join the 2 exposed ends when removing the bag, this adaptor enables you to run stock ballast without any need for plumbing changes if you have a big crew and need the storage space.

I ran this on my 08 VLX and it worked great, i now run the same system on my MXZ but with the 1.1/4" fittings.
i'm still using the bags (which will cost you around $400-$500 a pair for the 400lb), i'm not using the 3/4" anymore so could probably hook you up with all the necessary fittings for a few bucks + postage.
add on a wakesurf shaper and this will also give you a great surf wave.

I have schematic if needed, pretty simple.

I used a similar system, used the overflow of hard tank to fill bag then overflow of bag went out the side, but to drain installed a second drain pump on the bags in parallel so the bags would empty completely.
You will also want to reinforce your engine bay divider walls so they dont buckle under the extra pressure from the bags
Jump onto wakemakers.com and you can order complete systems for most boats from them
Brentos
Malibu Owner