Newbie to Wakboarding with kids

Postby Mark0 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi All,
I am hoping someone can confirm what my googling has told me so far about getting my kids up from a deep water start.

So we recently got into wakeboarding, myself wife and kids, we all started at a cable park, I got all the way around no major stacks (until 30 minutes later when I whipped myself out the side to fast), my wife and daughters (kids 10 and 7) start either sitting on the bench or standing on the ramp and they can get to the first corner no problems (have not made it around the corner yet but they have only been 3 times to the park).

So yesterday we went to a dam local to use to give it a go behind my boat, its not a wakeboard boat, but fine for beginners like us, its a 4.9m Carribean Cobra with a 90HP on the back.

My wife got up 3rd go then nailed it each time, I was taking off full speed which I think is very wrong, bust she got it :)

For the kids I played around with the take off speed heaps but never went really slow, I have since read they you should just literally creep from idle and slowly pull them out, does that sound right, really slow ?
I have my daughters in the crouched position arms straight and telling them to stay like that until they are up, but it was literally like dragging an anchor and i think its because I was going to fast.

My kids can deep water start at the cable park, I do know the angle of the cable is much higher and the speed increase was slow.

an explanation on me startign to fast I think is we all waster ski and are used to that, but this is new.

thanks
Mark0
Surface 180

Re: Newbie to Wakboarding with kids

Postby 82Juddcraft » Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 am

Mark0 wrote:Hi All,
I am hoping someone can confirm what my googling has told me so far about getting my kids up from a deep water start.

So we recently got into wakeboarding, myself wife and kids, we all started at a cable park, I got all the way around no major stacks (until 30 minutes later when I whipped myself out the side to fast), my wife and daughters (kids 10 and 7) start either sitting on the bench or standing on the ramp and they can get to the first corner no problems (have not made it around the corner yet but they have only been 3 times to the park).

So yesterday we went to a dam local to use to give it a go behind my boat, its not a wakeboard boat, but fine for beginners like us, its a 4.9m Carribean Cobra with a 90HP on the back.

My wife got up 3rd go then nailed it each time, I was taking off full speed which I think is very wrong, bust she got it :)

For the kids I played around with the take off speed heaps but never went really slow, I have since read they you should just literally creep from idle and slowly pull them out, does that sound right, really slow ?
I have my daughters in the crouched position arms straight and telling them to stay like that until they are up, but it was literally like dragging an anchor and i think its because I was going to fast.

My kids can deep water start at the cable park, I do know the angle of the cable is much higher and the speed increase was slow.

an explanation on me startign to fast I think is we all waster ski and are used to that, but this is new.

thanks

Its all practice.
Ya want to get to the 20mph relativity quick otherwise theyre forever fighting to get up, the kids should literally "pop up" out of the water and after 3-4 trys ya should swap and give them a rest.
Are they starting sideways like a wakeboard or nose forward like a ski? Try both.
82Juddcraft
Raley

Postby Mark0 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:34 am

We nailed it yesterday in the morning my daughter got up once and struggled a few times, but in the afternoon she smashed it, 5 goes 5 times she got up easy as, i was creeping off as slow as I could go and slowly increasing the throttle up to about 14mph and that was spot on for here, she was then starting to try and do ollies and practice moving about she had a ball and I am stoked we worked this out, I was going to fast originally.
Mark0
Surface 180

Postby will » Tue May 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Mark0 wrote:We nailed it yesterday in the morning my daughter got up once and struggled a few times, but in the afternoon she smashed it, 5 goes 5 times she got up easy as, i was creeping off as slow as I could go and slowly increasing the throttle up to about 14mph and that was spot on for here, she was then starting to try and do ollies and practice moving about she had a ball and I am stoked we worked this out, I was going to fast originally.

Great to hear!
I find that most people who haven't been able to get up have been taught by drivers who go too fast initially. Glad you worked it out. Nice and slow to start with, then as they get more practiced you can just move to full speed quicker.
Enjoy the ride. Any time on the water is good time!
will

Postby Robhatessharks » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:14 am

Always slow with kids, especially if their Board is a little oversized. Great family sport, welcome to the club!
Robhatessharks
Wake to Wake

Postby solokiter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:05 am

WILD HAK
solokiter
Wake to Wake

• Advertisement