Choosing a wake skate

Postby snwbrd » Sun May 21, 2017 5:28 pm

Just recently started riding park again and I'm hooked so looking for a wake skate to get around on. I may ride behind a boat if I can make some friends however at the moment its going to be purely park. I have been out of the sport for a while so I am pretty clueless on how things have progressed over the years so really just looking for some guidance on what some more experienced riders think.

I highly doubt I am going to be doing jumps or rails I just like playing around on the wake skate and was looking for something a little more stable than the hire skate I have been riding at the park which has no fins and is loose as hell.

I guess the general things I am a little unsure of are deck surface and length, I am pretty sure I ride a 137 wake board back in the day and I assume a slightly longer skate is going to be a little more stable... The hire boards had regular deck grip but I remember riding a mates skate which had a rubbery deck. Not sure if there are any advantages / disadvantages? Id probably prefer riding barefoot as I don't think I am cool enough to wear shoes in the water.

Liquid Force Reflex - The marketing blurb says its 'forgiving' which sounds pretty good to me :)
Ronix Boomstick - This looks pretty cool, people say its heavy but very stable. I was curious if anyone had any experience on them as I thought this may be a good option for me..

Anyhow good to be back on the water and if anyone can give me some guidance let me know! thanks.
Signatures are so 90's
snwbrd
Blender

Re: Choosing a wake skate

Postby will » Mon May 22, 2017 8:55 am

Welcome back! Skating at the park is a different experience depending on the amount of chop you get. The deck I love behind the boat rides terribly @ cable so I reckon try as many as you can. At your stage, there's certainly nothing wrong with riding the foam deck! You may want to go to the grip tape & shoe stage down the track but foam is nice because you get less sandpaper grazes when you fall off. Shoes are great as a protective covering however and you will probably want to go that track if you start hitting smaller obstacles. I bought a cheap pair of sneaker for 13 bucks @ big w and they're perfect. Size is again subjective, but if you can, try try try! Let us know how you go!
Enjoy the ride. Any time on the water is good time!
will

Postby snwbrd » Mon May 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks mate.

The nice thing about wake skates is they are not that expensive so if I really hate what I buy I can probably ditch it and get something else.

I just came across the Ronix Electric Collective which has a Hybrid Rocker and I am now trying to figure out what that means :) Its got a cool picture on it of a bear and a fish so that may well be a reason to buy it haha. I have been reading a bit and thinking I may need to man up and wear some shoes, seems there is a decent advantage to doing so.
Signatures are so 90's
snwbrd
Blender

Postby snwbrd » Tue May 23, 2017 2:10 pm

I am a bit limited on what I can get over here so had to get one shipped from the US. Ended up choosing the Liquid Force Reflex as I was able to get it shipped at a reasonable price and it seems to be a suitable board for a chump like me.

http://www.liquidforce.com/int/wakeskates-reflex.html

Hopefully it arrives before the weekend so I can try it out. I'm headed to the UK soon so if I don't like it I reckon I might pick up the Ronix Electric Collective which I really wanted but could not find anyone that would ship here at a reasonable price...
Signatures are so 90's
snwbrd
Blender

Postby will » Wed May 24, 2017 8:04 am

I'm a big fan of the reflex! :) It's a forgiving skate that's lots of fun.
Enjoy the ride. Any time on the water is good time!
will

• Advertisement